ATX Community

First Client of the season tomorrow

Janitor Bob

First client of the season called to get appointment for tomorrow. He was a past client that went elsewhere last season because I did not get him a large enough refund the year before. He told me today that where he went last year....I think he said H & R Scmuck...they charged him three times as much and did no better and could not increase his refund that I got him the prior year....So he came back.

So how much should I increase his fee this year? He is single with one child and one job (EIC)

First client of the season called to get appointment for tomorrow. He was a past client that went elsewhere last season because I did not get him a large enough refund the year before. He told me today that where he went last year....I think he said H & R Scmuck...they charged him three times as much and did no better and could not increase his refund that I got him the prior year....So he came back.

So how much should I increase his fee this year? He is single with one child and one job (EIC)

You may not be able to efile. The EIC Form is not ready to be efiled. I have a couple pending.

Eli

I charge new clients based on their forms. For continuing clients, I keep the increases reasonable for the same forms. So, a new client very well might be paying more than a continuing client for a similar return. I've charged clients that left for a year as if they were new. When I know how much they paid the other preparer, I stay under that as long as it would be as least as much as I would be charging them if they had never left. And, hopefully more!

I have my first client (other than 1099 and W2) coming in today at 2PM. Time to start cranking out returns and making some $$. I am always excited at this time of year to start, and I am always ready for it to end. The switch takes place about March first when the hard returns start rolling in and you have way too much work on your desk.

Tom

Lodi, CA

You got that SOOOOOO right; and probably loudly echoed by most of us here.

Same here.

I also hate the fact that a lot of them are calling and saying "I don't have my W-2 yet but I have my last pay check stub, I want an appointment". I say to myself... thank you H&R Block for your come in December with your last paycheck stub and we will get your refund campaign.