ATX Community

Fed Ex Delivery

Lion EA

I have a client who wants to send his just completed 2009 return to the IRS via FedEx. I confirmed on the IRS web site that they accept deliveries of tax returns via FedEx. But, doesn't FedEx require a physical street address instead of a PO Box? I could find no alternate address to use. Anyone done this before? :scratch_head:

Good one!

Speaking of FedEx, have you ever noticed the right-facing arrow in the FedEx logo? It's between the "E" and the "X". I think it's there emphasize speed. Once you notice it, it will jump out at you every time you see a FedEx truck going by.

Totally see the arrow first!! And.. have you noticed how hard it is to show someone where the arrow is while driving down the interstate. Some just don't get it!!

They're more likely to notice the logo if you're talking on the cell phone, eating a hamburger, and steering with your knees while you're showing them. It's always been my experience that every time I've done it that way, they always respond "Oh yes, I see it clearly!"

Thanx, folks. And, that brings up another question. If I prepare a client's return, but he sends it himself, does he use the address for taxpayers preparing their own return or the address for tax preparers filing returns for their clients. Neither of those descriptions fits his situation! (The preparer-prepared address is to a PO Box in Hartford; the sefl-prepared address has no detail in Kansas City.)

He's picking up his 2009 returns Monday. Lives in CT and owes both IRS and CT; so both addresses are PO Boxes. IRS site is very clear that he can use FedEx as he wants, but is also very clear the FedEx will not deliver to PO Boxes. However, I cannot find any street addresses. Now what?

From Valeria at the taxprofessionals Yahoo group:

The people on the phone at the IRS that answer the where-to-mail-it

questions are usually the new hires and they don't know how to find

it. (It's under POD--which is short of Post of Duty listing.)

It's the IRM list:

1.22.3.3.1 (12-15-2004)

Street Addresses

The street addresses to be used for administrative mail, bulk mail,

service-generated requested and certified mail, or for deliveries of

IRS initiated shipments by small package ground or air express

carriers, for the Submission Processing Center are as follows;

IRS Submission Processing Center

310 Lowell Street

Andover MA 01810

4800 Buford Highway

Chamblee GA 30341

3651 S IH-35

Austin TX 78741

201 W Rivercenter Blvd.

Covington KY 41011

5045 E. Butler Ave

Fresno CA 93727

2306 E. Bannister Road

Kansas City MO 64131

5333 Getwell Road

Memphis TN 38118

1973 N Rulon White Blvd.

Ogden UT 84404

11601 Roosevelt Blvd.

Philadelphia PA 19154

Many years ago, I worked for a bank's trust company in their employee benefits section. We needed to file a 5500 for a company located in Tennessee, and we were running late and wanted to FedEx it to the appropriate service center. At that time, Virginia returns went to Atlanta, I believe, but Tennessee went to Philadelphia. I called the toll free number to try to get the correct address, and reached the Richmond call center. They informed me that they had the address for Atlanta since that was where VA returns went, but did not have the street address for Philadelphia. I asked them how I could get the other address, and they told me I should call the call center in MD or TN since their returns went to Philadelphia. I asked for the number to call, and they gave me the same toll free number I used to reach them. I pointed this out, and they told me that they did not have another number, I should just go to anyplace in MD or TN and call the same number and I would get the MD or TN center since I was calling form within their jurisdiction. I always loved that logic!

Thank you, Catherine. I knew a list had to exist someplace, but I sure couldn't find it. His 2009 balance due to the IRS would go to a PO Box in St. Louis. With no St. Louis street address, should he just pick one?

You could try calling the practitioner priority line and asking for the "Post of Duty" listing, I guess. The list Valeria posted is a couple years old at this point so I don't doubt there are facilities missing. Or you could try the Kansas City NO -- at least it would be the right state!

Tried PPL and even my friendly, local IRS Liaison who speaks at our CtSEA meeting, etc. Neither had heard of a Post of Duty or street addresses for IRS Service Centers. Liaison even searched around online and found nothing that I had not already found. Think I'll tell client to use the PO or call himself !!

Tried PPL and even my friendly, local IRS Liaison who speaks at our CtSEA meeting, etc. Neither had heard of a Post of Duty or street addresses for IRS Service Centers. Liaison even searched around online and found nothing that I had not already found. Think I'll tell client to use the PO or call himself !!

Why does he want to use Fed X ? Just mail and be done with it. Sounds like you are spending too much time on this. I hate dealing with nonfilers old returns. I don't do them during season and hate if off season too.

First paying 2010 return dropped off on Sunday, so I've had time to deal with a late return for a continuing client. This guy got me his 2009 material 1 December 2010, but computer died (techie, order from Dell, and techie again for setting up) and we were out of state for a week over the holidays, so it was last week before I completed it. I feel like one month of his lateness is my fault. Anyway, he can FedEx from his office and get a discount, but mailing means a trip to the PO. I've done as much as I can do. It's his decision now.