ATX Community

1040 Per Form Price List

Crank

Does anyone know where I could find a tax prep, per form price list. For instance what the big tax prep companies are charging. I always tell prospective clients that my services cost less than the big firms and they get a CPA too with me, but in reality I dont know what the big firms are charging. My wife thinks I dont charge enough.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Lynn, you might find this interesting. It was in an article in the February issue of Consumer Reports Magazine and was the result of a survey of average prep fees for 2009 returns. It was conducted by the National Society of Accountants.

Return prepared by:

CPA, EA-itemized deductions $229.00

" " non- itemized $129.00

H & R (net average fee ) $187.00

Gerald

Thanks Lynn. Wow, those are some crazy fees. If i charged anywhere near that Im sure I would have no client base left.

Im even way below H& R Block - for a CPA no less. My average for 1040 Itemized, Sch B, State Return & 2 local returns, all efiled is about $125 - add other schedules or forms about $10-$20 per form. Between $50-$100 for an amended return. Am I too cheap? Although I do have one quite complicated return that Ive been at $300 for the last 8 years, older self employed woman that requires lots of attention. I even pick-up and drop off her return.

Somebody on another forum pointed out that if you double your fees and lose half your clients -- you're getting the same amount of money for half the work.

Been there...done that. The problem I had was that too many of them came back the next year and brought new clients with them. :o Go figure....it seems the more we charge, the more we are appreciated! :spaz:

Thanks Lynn. Wow, those are some crazy fees. If i charged anywhere near that Im sure I would have no client base left.

Im even way below H& R Block - for a CPA no less. My average for 1040 Itemized, Sch B, State Return & 2 local returns, all efiled is about $125 - add other schedules or forms about $10-$20 per form. Between $50-$100 for an amended return. Am I too cheap? Although I do have one quite complicated return that Ive been at $300 for the last 8 years, older self employed woman that requires lots of attention. I even pick-up and drop off her return.

Yes, your fees are too low. I thought my fees were low and they are. I'm a CPA too. I've been quoting higher fees for new clients and raising my fees a little each year for existing clients. I've never had the guts to double the fees though.

Yes, your fees are too low. I thought my fees were low and they are. I'm a CPA too. I've been quoting higher fees for new clients and raising my fees a little each year for existing clients. I've never had the guts to double the fees though.

I've never had the guts to double _my_ fees, either. Although this year when I sent out my letters I warned most people to expect about a 5% increase, and a couple whom I'd been undercharging got 10% in their letters. A select number of PITA clients got letters that said a 25% increase (and I put that in BOLD type to get their attention). Since the PITA people by and large also fuss and moan about my fees (grrr!!!) the hope is that sends them running _elsewhere_ for this year.