ATX Community

Tax preparation

mcb39

Client calls me yesterday and says that he and a friend are trying to "do" his taxes on Turbo Tax. TT is asking them all these weird questions that they don't know the answers to and could I lead them through it. (You all know the answer to that, but I was polite about it). I asked him how much it was costing to use TT and he said $27. I said I only charged you $30 last year and your Grandma paid it. He said that if they didn't get it figured out, he would be dropping it off. It makes no difference to me, is a large family and his Grandma has been with me forever. Makes no difference to her either. She says let them learn a lesson.

Client calls me yesterday and says that he and a friend are trying to "do" his taxes on Turbo Tax. TT is asking them all these weird questions that they don't know the answers to and could I lead them through it. (You all know the answer to that, but I was polite about it). I asked him how much it was costing to use TT and he said $27. I said I only charged you $30 last year and your Grandma paid it. He said that if they didn't get it figured out, he would be dropping it off. It makes no difference to me, is a large family and his Grandma has been with me forever. Makes no difference to her either. She says let them learn a lesson.

The nerve of some folks... :angry:

People think it so easy to do taxes themselves....if so then why are there so many of us out here. Even though you can represent yourself in court,9 times out of 10 you going to hire a lawyer right? Why can we not get the same respect!! I even had a client last year who went through somebdy else to file and had nerve to call me to check and see why they havent recieved their refund yet...AHHH! think u need to be calling "your people" on that is what i told her. SMH :dunno: !!!

SMH? Another term I don't know but think I need this one, too!

And you are correct - we really don't get the respect we deserve for all the knowledge and education we must have with constant updates. No, we don't and can't know it all at any given time but, unlike the generic program, we can know our client's situations and how to answer the questions narrowly and broadly as they apply individually.

Marilyn, I do hope that $30 return wasn't really worth more than about 10 minutes of your time. I wish the TT users would begin to wise up about the add-on and hidden costs of dyi and "xxx not included." I hope this young person does learn the lesson. Grandma is wise in that but maybe should not be subsidizing his fees. My guess is she won't any longer.

SMH? Another term I don't know but think I need this one, too!

And you are correct - we really don't get the respect we deserve for all the knowledge and education we must have with constant updates. No, we don't and can't know it all at any given time but, unlike the generic program, we can know our client's situations and how to answer the questions narrowly and broadly as they apply individually.

Marilyn, I do hope that $30 return wasn't really worth more than about 10 minutes of your time. I wish the TT users would begin to wise up about the add-on and hidden costs of dyi and "xxx not included." I hope this young person does learn the lesson. Grandma is wise in that but maybe should not be subsidizing his fees. My guess is she won't any longer.

it means Shaking My Head!!! :lol:

SMH. I think I will use that often! :spaz:

Me too. I didn't know what it meant either. And no, Margaret, I never spent more than 10 or 15 minutes on any of those kids' returns and there are a lot in that family. Just keep rolling them over, some years they come back and some years they don't. I had a kid the other day (different family) that I had to go back to 2006 and roll him forward year by year cuz he spends most of his time in jail. Just happened to work part of 2010; back in jail...SMH :blink:

(These do not represent my everday, ordinary class of client)

WHAT!? You mean TT isnt a better option. Thats not what the commercials say! Same with Block. And they say your return is free for all filers this year. And if they make a mistake they pay for it.

"I dont know why anyone would pay someone to do their income taxes." My response was, ummm yeah, it's not like taxes are complicated.

If you don't laugh about this stuff they will drive you crazy. :)

WHAT!? You mean TT isnt a better option. Thats not what the commercials say! Same with Block. And they say your return is free for all filers this year. And if they make a mistake they pay for it.

"I dont know why anyone would pay someone to do their income taxes." My response was, ummm yeah, it's not like taxes are complicated.

If you don't laugh about this stuff they will drive you crazy. :)

No kidding! In fact, my Granddaughter bought me a new sigh for my office this year. It simply states: "Gone Batty"! Add that to my license plate and you can draw your own conclusions.