ATX Community

Wheat income when you're not a farmer!

Dan

I concur with TaxmannEA, we need more info. I can think of a couple of different scenarios like winnings at a fair. Or, as was the case with my wife's grandfather, back in the 1950's he used to sell his crops or animals in his grandchildrens' names so he did not have to pay tax on the sales. I guess he did not understand the "income assignment" concept. :)

So, son is a sharecropper and in the business of farming, yes?

No! The son is not in the business of farming. He has a full-time non farming job. But if you help your father-in-law during your vacation from your full-time job and he pays you in wheat and a cow; how do you report that income. Going back to the previous question.

>> he pays you in wheat and a cow<<

The value of the barter or in kine payments should be reported on a W-2. If you don't have that, file a substitute W-2 with Form 8919. Otherwise treat him as an independent contractor and report the value as earnings on Schedule F.

The wheat and cow are capital assets in your client's hands, so also report their immediate or later sale on Schedule D.

Dan, your point that son has a day job has no relevance. I have several farmers that have "real" jobs also.

I vote for Schedule F. I sense you are attempting to escape self employment tax, but the fact is, he was paid for the work he did. It is either W-2 earnings or self employment earnings. You have no other choice. And I agreee with Jainen (wow, that is twice today) that the subsequent sale of the items go on Schedule D with his basis equal to the amount of income he paid tax on.

It turns out a simple question after all. If you perform services in exchange for property, you report the FMV of the property received as income. What you report as income becomes the basis on the property.

If you don't perform any services, the property is a gift.

Casual services outside of my profession are reported on line 21. If I am walking down the street and Steven Spielberg is filming a horror movie and ask me participate in the movie and he will give me a camera with FMV $200, I will report $200 on line 21.

If someone says, prepare my taxes and I will give you this camera with FMV $200, I will report $200 on Schedule C and pay SE taxes.

If I sell any of the cameras for $300, I will report $100 personal property gain.

>> he pays you in wheat and a cow<<

The value of the barter or in kine payments should be reported on a W-2. If you don't have that, file a substitute W-2 with Form 8919. Otherwise treat him as an independent contractor and report the value as earnings on Schedule F.

The wheat and cow are capital assets in your client's hands, so also report their immediate or later sale on Schedule D.

Love the pun!

Pub 15, page 33 Non-cash payments,

agricultural labor is Exempt from SS and Medicare and FUTA

The issue is not whether he's an employee or not, clearly, for whatever time he worked for the FIL he WAS an employee who was paid for that labor. The significant issue is that when a farmer pays for labor with produce rather than cash, there is a special exemption in the code for the payroll taxes, which give both the farmer and the worker a break.

§31.3121(a)(8)-1 Payments for agricultural labor

(b ) Payments other than in cash. The term “wages” does not include remuneration paid in any medium other than cash for agricultural labor.

Thanks for all your responses!

In the instructions for Schedule C (C-1) It says, "For example, a sporadic activity...does not qualify as a business. To report income from a nonbusiness activity, see the instructions for Form 1040, line 21..."

Yes, but such "instructions" tend to be so general that you should never rely on them too heavily. The code sections, however, are THE LAW and you can rely on those cites. That's why I gave you the cite that the instruction is based on. "Sporadic' is not a clear line that you can measure, unfortunately.