ATX Community

Amending return prepared elsewhere

Kea

New client bought windows eligible for energy credits. He had thought they were for 2010, but contract and call to vendor show purchased and installed in (late) 2009.

I am amending his 2009 return to add the credit. But I did not prepare the original. Should I include my info as the 1040 preparer? Or leave blank, or input prior preparer's info (but no signature)?

I will sign 1040X, but not sure about the 1040. There are a lot of Goodwill donations and unreimbursed employee expenses. I trust client (my husband used to work with him) and am sure he bought the tools reported and made the donations. But I really didn't want to re-check prior preparer's work.

Thanks

On recent amendments I have done like this I signed the 1040 because it was different from the original. However, they were very simple returns (1040A's) and I verified all information on the return. I felt the original return was the responsiblity of the original preparer but the amended one was mine.

On recent amendments I have done like this I signed the 1040 because it was different from the original. However, they were very simple returns (1040A's) and I verified all information on the return. I felt the original return was the responsiblity of the original preparer but the amended one was mine.

DO YOU send in the new 1040? not required. I just print one out for my files only to see a corrected one. Unless I am missing something

All I've ever sent with the 1040X is the forms that changed. And like Jack pointed out, that's always included the 1040. However, I don't send the original 1040 -- only the corrected one.

Generally, my amendments are on returns I prepared originally. For those I sign the 1040 & 1040X. I ask clients to do the same. I was never sure if signing the 1040 was required, but figured it did't hurt anything.

So, it sounds like it's not required to fill out any paid preparer info on the revised 1040? Signing the 1040X is sufficient.

I send a copy of all forms that have changed. I send an "AS AMENDED" copy, and an "AS ORIGINALLY FILED" copy of the forms that have changes.

I have yet to do a 1040-X that did not change the 1040...

You need a 1040X as the main form. The IRS already has the 1040 which is used when you originally file a return. If you need to amend, you fill out a 1040X which replaces and 1040X on your shipment.

Following your logic.... What do you do, when you amend a 1040 before April 15 (filing deadline), which can be done with a regular 1040? You send two 1040s with two set of schedules? That will make three 1040 sets in the hands of the IRS.

Let's say that your client forgot a W-2. Your client is single and reported originally 20K. The new W-2 is for 4K and he asks you to amend. You send a new 1040X with explanation for the lines that changed on the 1040X and attach ONLY the new W-2.

Another client whose AMT will quick in with the new W-2, needs to send 1040X, W-2 and AMT form.

Another client whose EIC will be killed with the new W-2 form needs to send 1040X, W-2 and a check. Why will you send the EIC form with the 1040X just to show the IRS that that form was changed from 3K to 0, if technically you should have not used it on the first place?

Maybe sending the original form has passed from generation to generation. I imagine that in the 60s or 70s, when the IRS was not using computers, having the originally filed 1040 was handy for the person at the IRS making the calculations. Now the IRS is using a more robust and BETTER software than ATX.

I have always done as Jack does -- sent the 1040X with the "As Amended" and the "As Originally Filed" 1040's plus _all_ schedules. Never had a question. The one time (just a couple years ago) that I tried with only the "As Amended" the first response we got was "what did you originally file?". For some people, foisting it back onto us may be easier than bothering to look at the computer -- or maybe the computer was down that month. In any event, I'd rather give them NO reason whatsoever to question anything I've sent.

Drown 'em in paper in the hopes that keeps them happy and out of our hair! cool.gif

Catherine

I have never sent the 1040 in when filing an amendment. I only send the 1040X, and any changed Schedules.

I don't even send a copy of the original return, with the logic that all this data is already in the IRS system, and sending additional paperwork simply increases the chances for something going wrong. I simply provide a detailed explanation on the 1040X.

I have never had a problem with an amendement filed this way.

I send a copy of the 1040X along with all schedules that have changed I never send a new copy of the 1040 the 1040X is a new 1040.I have done 100's that way and have never had a problem.

Same here. I have never signed the "new" 1040 whether I had prepared the original return or not.

I do not include the 'as originally filed', as they already have that. But if I DID, I'd just make a copy of the original, and that would have the original preparers info on it, so what is the issue? The only thing you need to sign is the 1040X, any 'as amended' copy would just be a supporting schedule, and should not be signed by anyone. You do not want it processed, it's just for information to the 1040X, which is what you want processed.

I printed client copy & IRS copy as just the 1040X & the Form 5695. A revised 1040 was for my files only.

I'm not sure if I'll still include revised 1040s in the future based on this discussion. But, if I do, I will now make sure to label it "As Revised" & not sign it. Previously I signed & asked client to sign -- just had figured it didn't hurt. I never heard about any problems with them.

Thanks.