ATX Community

Janitor Bob

OK....first of all...forgive me...I have had very little exerience with clients buying homes.

I am confused as to what exactly makes up "points". It is pretty clear on the 1098, but there a lot of charges on the HUD settlement statement. I do not really know what, if any, of these amounts can be considered points. Are all of the loan origination charges considered points or only some of them? I only part of the amount is points, how do I knbow what portion is points?

I am a little embarassed that I do not know this and any help provided to educate me is appreciated.

From the handy dandy Quickfinders: Points - often referred to as loan origination fees, loan discount, discount points or points. The must be computed as a percentage of the principal amount, etc. I just googled points and found this:

http://www.moving.com/articles/mortgage-loan-points.asp

and this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/mortgage-points.aspx

Look at a HUD settlement sheet usually lines 801 and 802, top of second page.

OK....first of all...forgive me...I have had very little exerience with clients buying homes.

I am confused as to what exactly makes up "points". It is pretty clear on the 1098, but there a lot of charges on the HUD settlement statement. I do not really know what, if any, of these amounts can be considered points. Are all of the loan origination charges considered points or only some of them? I only part of the amount is points, how do I knbow what portion is points?

I am a little embarassed that I do not know this and any help provided to educate me is appreciated.

Most of the time the points that are reported on the 1098 is the one I use. The HUD normally has the same amount as origination charges.

Most of the time the points that are reported on the 1098 is the one I use. The HUD normally has the same amount as origination charges.

Thank you for the replies...The 1098 has points of $750.00, but the HUD has origination charges...that "include points" of $3,309.51....so I am unclear if the entire $3,309.51 is points or if only $750.00 of the $3,309.51 is points.

Your humililty impresses me. Can I have some of that? Anyway, if the points are broken out on the 1098, that is probably all you will get. In the truest sense, points are what the borrower is paying to "buy down" the interest rate. They, the points, therefore have been determined to be prepaid interest. That is what makes them deductible. They are not very often broken down separately on the hud. Most of what you are looking for on a homeowner hud is interest expense and real estate taxes. The rest is just filler.

I agree JB. Use the figure on the 1098. What the others are saying is you can use the information from the HUD 1 if the points paid are not listed on the 1098. The deductible items are the loan origination fees, and of course, taxes paid. I hope all of the replies clears the mud for you

>>you can use the information from the HUD 1<<

In my opinion only the HUD-1 (or comparable settlement statement) will give you enough information. For one thing, the 1098 might not report additional points paid to a broker or a second lender. On the other hand, it may improperly include points actually paid by the seller or real estate agent. Even if the number is correct, it won't show that the borrower brought in at least that much in cash, a requirement to avoid having to amortize.

The HUD-1 has been improved this year, and now shows amounts paid outside of escrow, rebated, paid by the lender to the broker, and other important facts.

jainen made be look because his comment made me think of a nuance in this that I knew was there but could not recall. It does not matter if the points are paid by the buyer OR the seller, the buyer is entitled to the deduction irrespective of which party pays. So even though there is a requirement that there be enough cash at closing to pay them, it does not have to be the buyer's cash.

Just a reminder side note Bob, the buyer has NO R/E tax deduction in the year of purchase. And Buyer will (most always) be reimbursed for the portion of the "current" year's accumulated taxes (to be paid in the following year) on the closing statement.

Seller will have 13 to 24 months current R/E tax deduction (depending on sale date).

You know this, I'm sure. Just reminding you, because - "I have had very little exerience with clients buying homes".

To all others - This is OHIO specific and may not apply to your state.

Jim

One further reminder - points are deductible on the purchase of the home, but if it is a refinance, then they must be amortized over the life of the loan rather than deducted up front. But it sounds like from the original post that this is a purchase.

On a refi the points will probably not show up on the 1098.

I believe the box in the 1098 says something to the effect of "original purchase".

I just had a client who received a letter on a refi that stated the amount paid for points, but their 1098 did not have the info.

I have attached to this reply the HUD-1 Addendum. It looks to me like points of $1,409.01 would be deductible, but what about the Origination Fee of $1,225.50....is that considered poiints and deductible?

Also....the 1098 for this property lists Points of $736. Should I include this AND points from the HUD or just from the HUD?

It's my understanding that the origination fee is included in points when it is based on a percentage of the loan. I have frequently seen "loan origination (1%) = $xxx." But your posted HUD-1 doesn't say that. So I can't tell if they used a flat fee or based it on a percentage. I had one this year that just listed $500 for origination fee. In that case I didn't include it.

I have attached to this reply the HUD-1 Addendum. It looks to me like points of $1,409.01 would be deductible, but what about the Origination Fee of $1,225.50....is that considered poiints and deductible?

Also....the 1098 for this property lists Points of $736. Should I include this AND points from the HUD or just from the HUD?

Any opinions on this? Your comments and advice is appreciated.

>>points of $1,409.01<<

This is not the actual HUD-1, but appears to be an estimate or summary of only the buyer. The term origination fee is a synonym for points, but the statement's figure doesn't match the 1098 so presumably the seller or somebody paid it as I suggested earlier. Note that the $1409.01 was offset with a higher interest rate, so it is not deductible.

>>points of $1,409.01<<

This is not the actual HUD-1, but appears to be an estimate or summary of only the buyer. The term origination fee is a synonym for points, but the statement's figure doesn't match the 1098 so presumably the seller or somebody paid it as I suggested earlier. Note that the $1409.01 was offset with a higher interest rate, so it is not deductible.

I just get more confused as I go. I will scan and post the actual HUD-1 and see what advice you may have.

I just get more confused as I go. I will scan and post the actual HUD-1 and see what advice you may have.

Many banks charge origination fees, which may or may not be prepaid interest - often they are a fee to process the loan. At least in my area, banks list "origination fees" and "points" (to get a lower interest rate; prepaid interest) separately. For about 5 years I had seen very few "points" but with interest rates reversing and going up, they are becoming more common as borrowers are opting to pay points to obtain a lower rate; and on top of that they almost always pay a fee to the bank to process the mortgage. So it looks like the 1098 is giving you the true cost of points paid by the borower.

Attached is the page from the HUD-1 that details the points. Again....I'm not sure what I can claim for the client. The 1098 states points of $756, but as you can see, the HUD has points of $1,409.01

If someone culd look at this and tell me what you would see as deductiblr points, I would appreciate it.

Also...the seller paid closing costs of $2,000.00. This reduced the amount that my client (borrow) had to pay, but the HUD does not detail what comprises this $2,000.00....not sure if all or some of this would be points