ATX Community

NT-Bragging about my son-NT

NECPA in NEBRASKA

This is not tax. My son took two checkrides last week on his 17th birthday and received his private pilot's license in the morning and his instrument rating in the afternoon. He had already passed the written exams. That is the first day that he could legally receive them according to FAA rules. His dad are I were his first passengers without an instructor last week. I have been terrified of flying all my life, but I actually enjoyed myself some as long as I was in the front seat. I can't stand the back seat, because I am too claustrophobic. Thanks for letting me brag. He was on a local TV station here the next day.

Bonnie

This is not tax. My son took two checkrides last week on his 17th birthday and received his private pilot's license in the morning and his instrument rating in the afternoon. He had already passed the written exams. That is the first day that he could legally receive them according to FAA rules. His dad are I were his first passengers without an instructor last week. I have been terrified of flying all my life, but I actually enjoyed myself some as long as I was in the front seat. I can't stand the back seat, because I am too claustrophobic. Thanks for letting me brag. He was on a local TV station here the next day.

Bonnie

Congratulations, Bonnie -- you must be SO very proud!!! Congratulations also to your son, as he has worked long and hard for this. One of my husband's best friends from high school got his private pilot's license on his birthday (the day he was old enough) as well, and he has been a professional pilot all his adult life.

Catherine

Congratulations to son, Mom and Dad. Your son did what I always wished I had done. I waited way too long to get my license and I just cring at the thought of all of those clouds that went by without me poking a hole in them. :)

I KNOW how much work is involved and your son truly is to be commended.

And congratulations to Mom for stepping out. There is no greater thrill than flying in a single engine airplane. OK, landing is pretty special too.

The greatest thrill of all though, is the very first time that the instructor gets out of the plane and says "go fly". That very, very first solo landing is something you never forget.

Congrats again. May he always "keep the dirty side down"!

Congratulations. You're obviously very proud of him and you have every right to be.

Best way to overcome a fear of flying is to realize that when you travel by air, the most dangeous part of the trip is the drive to and from the airport in your car.

Thanks everyone.

Bonnie

Great news for you and your family Bonnie. I did see Andrew on the news the other night but never dreamed his story was related to one of my fellow tax preparers. Congratulations to him and to you and your hubby. May he continue his effort to reach his future goals and make himself as well as the Omaha area proud !!

DougO

Thanks, Doug. We are pretty proud of him. I'm glad that he loves flying, because they sure don't make as much money as they used to, so at least he should love going to work.

Where does he do most of his flying out of - does he use the Millard airport at all? Just curious as we are in that area and see all those planes coming and going every day.

DougO

He flies mainly out of Eppley. He flies around Millard a lot because we live here. Someone shot into his plane Saturday night with a green laser from around 156th and Center. Thankfully, it hit his passenger's headset and didn't hit anyone in the eyes. He does practice touch and goes at Millard. It sure would have saved on gas if he had flown out of Millard, but since he started flying when he was 15, I went with the Flight Nebraska Group for a school, because I really like and trusted the instructors. They have been good to him and hired him on part time so that he could get employee rates.