ATX Community

MD is requiring examination for tax preparers. How about DC or VA?

Pacun

If you are a CPA or Enrolled Agent you are exempt from this requirement.

For more information, visit the Dept. of Labor, Licensing & Regulation Web site.

Lynn

Lynn Jacobs, EA, FNTPI, NP

Enrolled Agent

Notary Public

Kenner, LA

You still have to register and pay the $100 fee. Being a CPA or EA only removes the necessity for the competancy test.

Exemptions from Maryland Registration

The following individuals are exempted by law from the requirement to hold a state individual tax preparers registration:

1. a current, active CPA registered by Maryland or any other State,
  2. an individual in good standing and admitted to practice law in the State or in another state;
  3. an individual employed by a local, state, or federal governmental agency but only in performance of official duties;
  4. an individual enrolled to practice before the Internal Revenue Service who is governed under circular 230;
  5. an individual serving as an employee of or assistant to an individual tax preparer or an individual exempted under this subsection in the performance of official duties for the individual tax preparer or the individual exempted in 1 to 4 above.

California has done this for years, and Oregon too! I just completed my continued education requirement for California, and out of 200 questions I only missed 1.

California has stated that when IRS begins testing, and requiring continued education, they will accept what IRS requires for their own standards therefore not impossing two tests for us. We will still have to pay the 25.00 annual registration fee however.

To be honest with you all I was suprised to learn a few years ago that so few states had any competency requirements.

Deb!

And it doesn't make sense to me that they would start imposing competency requirements of their own now - why not just say you have to be allowed to prepare federal taxes to be allowed to prepare the state? If they weren't worried about competency before, I see no reason to start now unless it is just a revenue generator.

And it doesn't make sense to me that they would start imposing competency requirements of their own now - why not just say you have to be allowed to prepare federal taxes to be allowed to prepare the state? If they weren't worried about competency before, I see no reason to start now unless it is just a revenue generator.

I believe it is a revenue generator. I agree if they accept federal that should be it. I can't even see the need to pay the annual 25.00 to California when the new procedures take place, however when an agency is formed at a government level, it is nearly impossible to make it go away.

CTEC, the agency used by California to regulate tax preparers has stated that the funds enable them to better educate the public of the need to use only CTEC or other professional (licensed) preparers, and that they use the funds to go after those who prepare taxes illegally. They say they are making a difference, but year after year I see horror stories come into my office asking for help because of the mess made by someone not registered, or licensed.

Deb!

Anyone who believes it is anything more than another hidden tax (revenue generator) that no one can change (not even with a referendum) is sadly misinformed. Same with the IRS program. All states will soon be jumping on the bandwagon to tax us preparers. And we all know that businesses do not pay taxes, they pass the increased costs on to their customers. These statements reflect how I see it, In my not so humble opinion.