ATX Community

e-file rejection code explanations

Jack from Ohio

Guest Taxed

I am not at my desk so i don't have access to the cheat sheet but the dependent #s are like -001 etc at the end of the rejection code and it is in the same order as it is listed on the 1040.

I had a similar rejection and that is how I figured it which kid was causing the error code.

I am not at my desk so i don't have access to the cheat sheet but the dependent #s are like -001 etc at the end of the rejection code and it is in the same order as it is listed on the 1040.

I had a similar rejection and that is how I figured it which kid was causing the error code.

Rejection code is F1040-512

This is all I have. Nothing more on the MyATX page either. I did find this on the IRS page concerning common reject codes....

The dependent’s return will have to be amended. If you are the tax professional, contact the IRS e-help Desk at 1-866-255-0654 for assistance in determining which individual was claimed on another return.

This tells me that the IRS does not have the specific information available for us. I guess they don't trust us??? :wall:

F1040-512 Each Dependent's SSN on this return cannot be used on another return as a Primary or Secondary SSN with Line 6a checkbox 'ExemptPrimaryInd' or Line 6b checkbox 'ExemptSpouseInd' checked on that return.

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Tax-Year-2012-Schemas-and-Business-Rules-for-Modernized-e-File-MeF-Forms-1040-1040EZ-1040A-1040-SS-PR-4868-2350-9465-56

I'm not using ATX, does it not provide the data value it rejected on? The data value would be the SSN for the dependent in question. The reject itself is saying the dependent was claimed as a primary/secondary, as in they filed their own tax return and did not mark that they could be claimed as a dependent.

from turbotax support

Efile rejects 0510, IND-509/512, F1040/A/EZ-510, F1040/A-512, F1040/A-513, F1040A-145, F1040SSPR-512
Updated: 3/29/2013
Article ID: SLN12037

Your e-filed return is rejected with error codes 0510, IND-509, IND-512, F1040-510, F1040A-510, F1040EZ-510, F1040-512, F1040A-512, F1040A-513, F1040A-513, F1040A-145, or F1040SSPR-512, along with this explanation:

This taxpayer or taxpayer's spouse has been claimed as a dependent on someone else's return (according to returns the IRS has already received). Make sure that no other person can claim this taxpayer or spouse as a dependent (for example, the parents or grandparents), and that the dependent's Social Security number has not been used on another return as the primary or secondary taxpayer's SSN (the persons listed first and second on the return).

Possible Causes

• Another taxpayer has already claimed you or your spouse as a dependent (most common reason)
  • The dependent you are trying to claim has already filed his/her own return (second most common reason)
  • The same Social Security number was entered for a taxpayer and a dependent on the return
  • A Social Security number was entered incorrectly.

So evidently somebody has already used one of the primary ss on another return. Possibility on young marrieds, carryover on parents return, or somebody filed without telling the other party.. usually in our office it is the 18-20 year old dependent that took their own exemption. If all else fails, call the e-file hotline.

Does anyone know the publication number that will allow me to decipher error codes?

Client has 5 children. One of them has been claimed on another return. Before I call, I would like to be able to know which one it is. It is a His, Hers and Theirs situation with 2 off in college as well.

My book indicates that it is one of the dependents who is a student. The Students SS# on 8863 must match data from the IRS Master File. It is Pub 1345A, but mine is pretty old; Catalog # is 15713E. I finally found it but don't know how much help this will be to you.

I linked the MEF business rules in my earlier post (MEF business rules = "rejects").

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Tax-Year-2012-Schemas-and-Business-Rules-for-Modernized-e-File-MeF-Forms-1040-1040EZ-1040A-1040-SS-PR-4868-2350-9465-56

It is the TY2012 1040 Family that would be relevant for a 1040 reject, so you would click and download the most recent version (currently 2012.4v2) and in the zip file the reject descriptions are available in both excel and PDF formats. The description for F1040-512 is "Each Dependent's SSN on this return cannot be used on another return as a Primary or Secondary SSN with Line 6a checkbox 'ExemptPrimaryInd' or Line 6b checkbox 'ExemptSpouseInd' checked on that return." which doesn't indicate which dependent. So I think the problem is still, how do you tell which dependent it's rejecting for in ATX?

...So I think the problem is still, how do you tell which dependent it's rejecting for in ATX?

Now at least ONE responder understands my problem!!!

From my original post... "Client has 5 children. One of them has been claimed on another return. Before I call, I would like to be able to know which one it is. It is a His, Hers and Theirs situation with 2 off in college as well."

When I experienced this issue, I opened the return, asked for the efile rejection report. That report included a box at the bottom of the page with a red button. Clicking in the red button brought me to the 'problem' dependent. In my case the issue was a misspelling of the dependent's name, easily fixed, return Efiled and accepted. Your mileage may vary.

When I experienced this issue, I opened the return, asked for the efile rejection report. That report included a box at the bottom of the page with a red button. Clicking in the red button brought me to the 'problem' dependent. In my case the issue was a misspelling of the dependent's name, easily fixed, return Efiled and accepted. Your mileage may vary.

Thank You Lynn. I am at home now, but first thing on Monday morning I will check your method out. It would have been nice for CCH to have made such information available...

That's how I've always looked at my rejections. From within the return. The code indicates the issue isn't the dependent being claimed as a dependent, but that the dependent filed his or her own return and claimed herself. Have the taxpayer ask the dependents who filed their own return.

That's how I've always looked at my rejections. From within the return. The code indicates the issue isn't the dependent being claimed as a dependent, but that the dependent filed his or her own return and claimed herself. Have the taxpayer ask the dependents who filed their own return.

9 out of 10 times when I ask that question, I receive one of the three following answers...

"He/She filed her own and I am certain he/she did not claim him/herself. I told them not to."

"I filled out their tax returns and I KNOW I did not mark the box for them to claim themselves."

"They did it all on their own online. I have no idea. There is no copy available."

Needless to say, 9 out of 10 of the transcripts I have them get show otherwise....

Lynn, your answer is RIGHT ON THE MONEY! I just never clicked on the little red box. I guess I saw it and thought "another quirk that the rework of the progam does" then just ignored it. You have made my job following up on these SO MUCH easier! If you are a fan of good chocolate, I will send you some!!

Thank You again!!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm getting this same error on one of my returns. Dependent did file a return but I know for a fact they did not claim themselves (I prepared the return).

So I have two options (correct me if I am wrong):

1. E-File return without dependent (which one to take off I don't know) and file an amended return after the fact with dependent.

2. Send the return in via paper.

I see the red box but it doesn't say anything.

I'm getting this same error on one of my returns. Dependent did file a return but I know for a fact they did not claim themselves (I prepared the return).

1. E-File return without dependent (which one to take off I don't know) and file an amended return after the fact with dependent.

2. Send the return in via paper.

I see the red box but it doesn't say anything.

Have you actually e-filed the return for the dependent yet and know that it was accepted by IRS? Are you sure that the dependent didn't file his/her own return? This could also be an identity theft issue.

That's a good point, Judy. I had one a couple of years ago where Mom brings in son's W-2, but when I filled it I got a reject of both his and Mom's. He'd gone on-line the day he got his W-2, and filed and yes, he claimed himself because he got $45 more that way. Of course, we had to file an amendment for him, and paper file for her, which delayed Mom's refund significantly. He was worth over 2K to Mom, the ungrateful little twerp knew that because he'd done the same thing the year before! Dumb Mom gave him the $45, by the way.

I know for a fact they did not claim themselves (I prepared the return).

"the" return and "which one" seem a little bit ... Is there more than one dependent on this return? Did you prepare tax returns for all the dependents?