ATX Community

Massive Opportunity for Identity Theft ?

kcjenkins

Obamacare Navigators Won’t Have to Pass Background Checks

It is called the Federal Data Hub. Massive amounts of information gathered on every American are shared between government agencies; agencies ranging from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to the Department of Defense (DoD), Homeland Security (DHS) and Health and Human Services (HHS). The best part there is no opting out.

So who all has access to this information and the bigger question does private information even exist anymore?
The step toward truth is to inform.
There is as we speak an army of new federal government employees being hired by the department of Health and Human Services. Why does HHS need all these new employees? The answer is simple, the massive new healthcare law, The Affordable Care Act is behind schedule and the Feds need to start signing Americans up for the health care exchanges as quickly as possible.
So what kind of information is going to be collected?
When individuals sign up for federal insurance exchanges, they are required to enter their personal information into a new Federal Data Hub. We are talking about information like medical records, Social Security numbers, tax information, and bank account information. This is done by allowing seven government agencies, including the IRS, Department of Justice, Social Security Administration and others, to share and verify information in order to determine eligibility for an insurance subsidy.
In short, basically everything about you will be shared among multiple agencies. Remember, no actual agency can see or access any information. People working in those agencies do. So who, specifically, will be able to access this information?
They are called Navigators. Men and women who are being hired to work for between $20 and $48 dollars an hour. Sounds like specialized work that will require highly trained individuals, but not so much. The requirements to become one of these navigators do not even include a high school diploma. Though these navigators will have access to just about every piece of personal information on Americans enrolled in this exchange, they are not even required to pass a background check.
That is what the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has been told by HHS.
Navigators will only have to take a 20 to 30 hour online course about how the 1,200 page Affordable Care Act (ACA) works.
Interestingly, there is another role of these navigators that deserves a mention. There is more to the role of the Navigators than just signing Americans up for the healthcare exchange. These Navigators will also be responsible for registering Americans to vote.
What you need to know is that when it comes to the National Data Hub, there is a bigger question here than just one of whether or not HHS navigators might be overstepping their role by registering voters with this personal information; a bigger question than whether or not the information compiled in this data hub is susceptible to fraud, or corrupt workers.
The most important question is, "Does personal or private information exist anymore?" Chances are the feds would say no. After all, we know the NSA believes they have the right to read your emails and listen to your phone calls. So, why wouldn't they have the right to any and all of your private information, even your banking information? The federal apparatus that is nearly complete is telling you that you don't have the right to withhold anything about yourself and your life from government.
But that is simply not true.
The rights to privacy are all but gone in America today. Consider this, you do not belong to the state. Your money, your business, your private correspondence and conversations, your identity belongs to you and you alone. Those in power know it, but the population has forgotten it. It is time that we remember.
  • Like 1

KC we have had such a hub with financial and medical record data in MA since 2007. I have not seen any reports of massive identity fraud. As a matter of fact just last month I had to send them copies of my tax return, driver's license copy, proof of address (utility bill) for reenrollment for next year. Have been doing this each year.

I have noticed lately the conservative media really scaring the public by implying the Navigators have not been vetted and they will steal your identity or worse harm you.

What proof do they have? The guy who comes to read my gas meter in my basement can rob me too?

KC we have had such a hub with financial and medical record data in MA since 2007. I have not seen any reports of massive identity fraud. As a matter of fact just last month I had to send them copies of my tax return, driver's license copy, proof of address (utility bill) for reenrollment for next year. Have been doing this each year.

I have noticed lately the conservative media really scaring the public by implying the Navigators have not been vetted and they will steal your identity or worse harm you.

What proof do they have? The guy who comes to read my gas meter in my basement can rob me too?

The guy reading your meter has been vetted and is bonded by the company he works for. Another irrelevant comparison.

• Like 1

Doesn't this belong in the Politics forum?

I thought it might too, but the vulnerability of our personal information is something that everyone here should be made aware of, and some members aren't reading the Politics forum posts. My own opinion on this is that all of that information is already out their for hackers and thieves to steal. Just because someone is bonded, or works for your doctor, insurance agent, or other financial professionals, doesn't guarantee that they are, or will remain, trustworthy either.

If the discussion stays within the narrow topic of identity theft, then it should stay here. If it diverges into ranting and bashing of the ACA, the president, or Congress, it could always be moved to the Politics forum later on.

You are absolutely correct. All that information is already out there and probably in less secure environments. Being bonded is no guarantee that they will not steal. All it means is that the bond will pay for the expense of a breach to the company.

I'm going through the exchange, and don't qualify for any subsidies or credits (unless I opt to insure my employee, which I can't afford right now & besides she'll qualify for Medi-Cal under the new law). I'm excited that I will be able to BUY insurance at a much less cost than the former high-risk pool.

• Like 3

The thing is that the range of people being hired as Navigators is amazingly broad, and their qualifications almost non-existent, and their training also extremely minimal, a 20 hr online course for the federal hires. More than 100 nonprofits and related organizations, such as church groups, United Way Agencies, community health centers, chambers of commerce, universities, various food groups, Planned Parenthood, Native American tribes, various foundations, unions, senior citizen groups, and many others. which specialize in everything from running soup kitchens to organizing farm workers, have been recruited by the federal government to sign up “navigators”. The guides will be sent to community events with laptops to help people sign up for insurance online. They will work at food banks, shelters, churches and free clinics where the uninsured are likely to be.

Also, the short time available for training raises questions about how prepared the workers will be to answer people’s questions about the different policies and government subsidies available. Community groups received the course materials for the 20-hour training only in early Sep. The work will be more difficult than what most other temporary employees, such as census workers, do. The navigators must listen to a family’s real-world story, assess its income, and figure out eligibility for the Medicaid program, which provides health care for the poor, or for new tax credits, each with its own complicated rules. We are trained tax professionals, and we have lots of questions, altho most of us have been studying it since at least June.

What we do know is that the data base is going to be the most comprehensive single database ever, open to a wide range of unbonded users.

>>> The guides will be sent to community events with laptops to help people sign up for insurance online. They will work at food banks, shelters, churches and free clinics where the uninsured are likely to be.

From a pragmatic perspective, How much valuable financial data do you think homeless people or those in shelters will have?

Don't you think the real fool would be the thief stealing the identity of a homeless person and then applying to get a credit card etc?

In our state we have Fuel Assistance program for the low income families and they set up shop at churches, malls etc and I have seen the application and they ask all sorts of financial information to determine eligibility. These volunteers are not even trained in many cases. No one seems to be raising a stink about that? You know why because it has noting to do with ACA.

If there is something to do with ACA, the Repubs will raise a stink. Just like I heard that Cruz say that IRS agents will control our healthcare decisions and access?

The quote from the Freedom group that started this thread is ridiculous, meant to rile people up. At this point no one knows how the operation will run so bashers are imagining things and putting them out there as facts. For example, "After all, we know the NSA believes they have the right to read your emails and listen to your phone calls. So, why wouldn't they have the right to any and all of your private information, even your banking information?"

Only people who don't read real news from reliable sources would swallow any of that. First of all, NSA did not listen to phone calls, just kept massive data bases of who called whom. Calls to/from suspected terrorists were flagged by the software, but there was no way to eavesdrop on calls already completed. Unless you have anything to do with terrorism, you have nothing to worry about.

Second, email is a very nonsecure way of communicating. Any hacker could read your email in no time at all. Don't blame NSA for that. If you don't use password protection and encryption for sensitive emails, blame yourself. And if you do use those tools, realize that they are not foolproof.

I seriously doubt that the IRS will share any personal data with anyone because the IRC says they can't. (Well, after 9/11 they have been allowed to share with Homeland Security for suspected terrorists, but anyone in their right mind can understand why.) My hunch is that initially people who buy health insurance through the exchanges will have to disclose their income and, if eligible, will receive credits in the form of payments made from the government to the insurance company. The following year when they file their income tax returns, the IRS will verify their eligibility IN HOUSE. If they ended up making more than they stated, the IRS will inform the data people how much credit will have to paid back (through reduced payments for insurance the following year--kind of like Social Security does if you're collecting and earn too much). Either that, or the IRS will verify income to the exchanges, but they cannot disclose tax returns. Maybe this is why the IRS was given a role in health care reform in the first place. They're the only agency who knows someone's income and since they can't share that information, let them take responsibility for determining the amount of the credits.

Finally, the IRS already has access to your banking information. Many audits start with bank statements. If you refuse to supply them, the agency can suponea them from the bank. This is not new and has nothing to do with health care reform.

We as tax professionals know these things, especially how private tax return information is. (Ever try to talk to the IRS without a perfectly executed POA?) Our job is to assure clients that this is LAW and has not changed. Instead of riling them up, it is our professional responsibility to calm them down.

Second, email is a very nonsecure way of communicating. Any hacker could read your email in no time at all. Don't blame NSA for that. If you don't use password protection and encryption for sensitive emails, blame yourself. And if you do use those tools, realize that they are not foolproof.

This part is WAY overstated. It is NOT easy for a hacker to read your e-mail unless he gets your e-mail username and password. This is how the great majority of e-mails get compromised.

No one can roll up in front of your house and read all your e-mails with a few clicks. Anyone who knows the technical ins and outs of e-mail and how it is transmitted will know. I have a son that is a software engineer and served as a level 3 technician at an e-mail providing company.

Much more chance of someone getting into your computer at work or home and reading the e-mail.

In my neighborhood when I scan for WiFi signals I see one or two completely unprotected networks. No security enabled. Once I connected just to see and I was able to use their internet to connect to various websites. It is absolutely mind boggling that someone would have an unprotected network.

I bet a hacker once they gain access to the network could not only see what they want to see but plan a trojan horse or virus for more damage.

It is recommended by all router manufacturers to use MAC filtering, WPA enabled security and hide the broadcast of SSID.

My business internet is wired only, no wireless when I am doing tax returns.

In my neighborhood when I scan for WiFi signals I see one or two completely unprotected networks. No security enabled. Once I connected just to see and I was able to use their internet to connect to various websites. It is absolutely mind boggling that someone would have an unprotected network.

I bet a hacker once they gain access to the network could not only see what they want to see but plan a trojan horse or virus for more damage.

It is recommended by all router manufacturers to use MAC filtering, WPA enabled security and hide the broadcast of SSID.

My business internet is wired only, no wireless when I am doing tax returns.

Those with open WIFI are careless and irresponsible. If someone gets into their system and compromises it, it is not because e-mail is not secure, it is due to laziness, ignorance or both. Sort of like not locking the door on your house. Natural sense should apply here.

One more example of why most hacked e-mails are the careless fault of the user.

One of the most overlooked security problems is your pets. Dogs are loyal but they don't understand the larger picture and can be, well, petty. As for giving them an RFID chip, are you nuts? Cats just don't care one way or another, so never let them know important things like how long the house will be empty. You can trust horses as much as you can trust any blackmailer. Birds of course are such gossips we have cliches like sing and tweet for tattletale. That's why I only have a goldfish.

• Like 1

US Mail is less secure than e-mail.

I use US Mail (Certified First Class or 2nd Day Priority flat rate envelope) for mailing tax returns and documents to my clients. So should i switch to e-mail?

I would have to encrypt the pdf and that will catch the eye of NSA??