ATX Community

How do I mark a return 'draft'?

jasdlm

I have searched the help section, this forum, and myatx, and I can't figure out how to mark a return as 'draft' so I can email it to a client without worrying that he will print it and send it in.

Any help would be appreciated . . . I feel like an idiot, but I really can't find any way to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance!

I don't believe that you can mark it draft unless you print to a pdf program which allows you to do that. What I do is print the Client Copy (so marked by selecting that on the print menu) to pdf but print the 8879 from the filing copy and send the pdf to the client with a password, usually the last 4 digits of their ssn. Since each page is marked in large letters Client Copy, I don't have much concern that it would be printed out and mailed. I could also restrict the pdf from being printed but choose not to do so as I tell the client to print the 8879 to sign and also that, if there are no changes, the client copy sent is, in fact, their copy to keep and print.

I don't know how to mark a return "Draft" other than to write the words on each page & scan it. If there's a way within ATX, I'd like to know as well.

But if you want to watermark each page as "Client Copy", then all you need to do is select "Print", select "Preferences" from within the Print Manager, and under the "Print" tab on the left hand side, be sure that "Print Watermark on Client Copy" is selected.

Then under "Options" you select "Client Copy". This will display a second column and you can check the appropriate forms/pages you want to print. Each page will have "Client Copy" watermarked across its face.

>The Brother 5250DN that we use is completely customizable<<

Well, no, I disagree on that point. Sure, you can set the text, but not the location or color which in my opinion are more important than the word. I mean, even just a big red X across the signature block would be a lot better than a simulated watermark. I prefer low-tech: rubber stamps.

Wow! Cool! I just checked my LaserJet 1320 and discovered, under Effects, that there indeed is an option for Watermarks. My choices are the default None, Confidential, Draft and SAMPLE. I knew I could do lots of this in Adobe Pro and would still choose that for pdf's but this is great to know I can print it, too!

Thanks, Jack from Ohio, for chiming in and to jasdim for the thread.

>The Brother 5250DN that we use is completely customizable<<

Well, no, I disagree on that point. Sure, you can set the text, but not the location or color which in my opinion are more important than the word. I mean, even just a big red X across the signature block would be a lot better than a simulated watermark. I prefer low-tech: rubber stamps.

The driver (provided by Brother online) we use has the watermark completly customizable. The printer is black & white, but position, font, size, darkness, fill pattern, etc. is all changeable. Check to make sure you have the latest driver version(s) for your printer.

I have installed the same printer 4 times on my system with the default settings different for each one. I name each one by it's feature... "Duplex", "Standard", "Water", "Dup-Water". That way, when I print, I simply choose the correct printer for what I need.

And I don't get stamp pad ink on my fingers or clothes.

Just checked my printer Lexmark E310 (an old one) and found I can add any text for a watermark, change font, add color. I knew it had a watermark but I never used it. Now I can be really creative. All the things I learn on this board.... I might even try to attach the rubber stamp for the e-mail (hopefully I'll have better luck than JohnH and it won't fall off.) Better say good night Gracie (that really is dating me).

>>every time I try to attach the rubber stamp to an email, it falls off the keyboard into the floor<<

The keyboard is a useful accessory, but it is not backwards compatible. Try one of those new-fangled I/O devices, the "monitor." A rubber stamp still works perfectly on it.

Well that's easy for you to say, but I'm finding that monitors just don't last all that long. It's getting expensive to keep replacing them every week or so. After a few days all the White-Out already makes them hard to read, and now you're telling me to make a bigger mess with rubber stamps.

• Haha 1

• 8 years later...

Follow above suggestion for how to have watermark on client copies.  Then:

Print icon

Client tab

On left window, you should see a checkmark next to Watermark under Copies

Type in 'Draft', or customize what you want watermarked.  I believe 'Client Copy' is default, but this can be deleted out of field and replaced with what you want.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chad said:

Follow above suggestion for how to have watermark on client copies.  Then:

Print icon

Client tab

On left window, you should see a checkmark next to Watermark under Copies

Type in 'Draft', or customize what you want watermarked.  I believe 'Client Copy' is default, but this can be deleted out of field and replaced with what you want.

This post is 8 years old.  Please stick to current posts.

• Sad 1