ATX Community

Printer Not Working Correctly

mcanny

I have a problem with printing from the software. For no rhyme or reason, about every two or three days, my software quits printing. When it stops printing, I can restart and it will work again, but it is frustrating needing to restart all the time, especially with a client waiting. Also, I am able to print from other programs just not ATX when this issue arises. I have reinstalled and updated print drivers, but it makes no difference. Also, when the print issue arises, I am unable to print to PDF or any other printer installed. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Are you using an ATX approved printer, operating system, et al? It sounds like you (your computer / printer - not "you" you) have a memory issue. The ATX print files can suck up alot of memory. I am on a network and printing to a digital file cabinet and a Canon Imagerunner network printer/scanner/copier at the same time and some of the bigger returns take a while to spool and print, but they are not timing out. I did a federal, 4 state, and local return (69 pages) yesterday and it took about a minute to create the print file and send it and another couple of minutes to print it.

New printers every 24 months max! That is life in 2012.

Come On Jack...I have been using the same HP Printer since 2003. Granted I have a backup and have them both installed and can choose one or the other to use; but mostly use the older one because it is more economical. For many years I only had the one. Never have had a problem printing with ATX.

Come On Jack...I have been using the same HP Printer since 2003. Granted I have a backup and have them both installed and can choose one or the other to use; but mostly use the older one because it is more economical. For many years I only had the one. Never have had a problem printing with ATX.

Are you using Win 7? HP is very well known for NOT writing Win 7 drivers for most of their printers over 3-4 years old.

A new inexpesive black & white laser printer will be faster, (20 ppm) and far less expensive per page to print from that your inkjet.

Our main printers that do about 2,000 pages a month during season, cost $189 at several retail outlets. If it hiccups, we replace it. On the shelf at the office supply stores. We have 3 that are networked, so if 1 goes down, we can use the other two. Very little down time to replace it no clogged inkjet nozzels, and really cheap copy price.

Sometimes spending a few dollars for current technology will save you hours and hours of time, and money in the long run.

FYI We have $.006 per page printing costs.

All of my printers are HP Lasers and all of them will print to my laptop which has Win 7 with updated drivers. I have never analyzed the cost per page, but I know I get a lot more mileage out of a toner cartridge on the old 1200 than I do on the new 2035 because every time I change the toner cartridge I put the date on a sticky note and the oldest date I have is 2/9/03. I also have two other HP lasers; a 1018 and a 1006 which I use pretty exclusively with the laptops. I am a one-person operation and the only person who touches my equipment so, obviously, we are comparing apples and oranges here.

Like Marilyn, I've had the same HP Laser printer going on 7 years now. It's a 2420d and has worked well with each of ATX's tax programs since then. I think it's fairly fast, can print at speeds up to 30 ppm, faster from the top tray than the drawer. I've been running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit since 8/2011 and prior to that it was Win XP Pro. I haven't had any compatibility issues at all.

I have an HP Laserjet 4300 which is very old and fast and I am using Windows 7 64bit. As you know, HP 4300 is a production printer and printing 100-page tax returns (no graphics) is nothing for this type of printers even if they are OLD. If you buy a printer designed for home use (home toy thing), you will get memory issues and drivers will not be upgraded by HP for new operating systems like Windows 7 64bit.

To the original poster, have you tried to defrag your hard drive and increase your page file? Have you tried to run ATX with realtime priority?

As JohnH said once, have you checked the cables to your PDF printer?