ATX Community

They're here (Audits on R/E professionals)

ILLMAS

I fixed that for you, so Max will feel better when he sees it next. I too tend to be a bit of a 'grammar police' person myself. The result of a wonderful, but extremely strict, teacher in high school, I expect. Mrs Rogers was a tiny little woman, who could with one look make the biggest football jock swallow his gum without a moments hesitation. And she drilled us on proper use of the English language in ways that made all her students use better grammar all the time. She was a good artist, so used pictures to help us understand. I can still see her drawing of the phrase 'the old man was sweeping the floor with a long white beard". I still move a descriptive phrase when it is misplaced, just because of that one example.

So things like that topic heading just grate on me. It's not a big deal, but if you look at an old post and suddenly notice that some typo or split infinitive has been corrected, it's probably because I read it. ;) :P

• Like 2

>>it didn't make sense to me<<

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master — that's all."

• Like 1

I am not prone to correcting misspelling or grammar, although I have had lots of practice doing so.

We raised three kids and one had a heck of a time in high school with spelling and grammar. I finally got him straightened out. He went on to college and later a masters.

In the early 60's, I proofread for various publications. Since then, there is rarely a book that I have read that does not have at least one misspelling.

For some reason, I always seem to catch the spelling and/or grammar errors in books, and I read a lot. Also, for some reason, it always irritates me. I wonder if this is the result of too much "Spell check" as opposed to actual human proofreading. Once again, I think we lay the credit (or blame) to a good grade school education wherein Grammar and Spelling were stringently taught. However, I would never correct anyone else unless I was asked to. We all have our own and varied areas of expertise. :read: