ATX Community

Simplified Home Office Deduction TY 2013

Guest Taxed

I wouldn't use a standard OIH deduction in Taxed's situation; the interest and taxes reduces SE tax, unless this isn't an issue. I'd use it if they didn't have interest & taxes, perhaps from a paid for home. If they rent, rent is often a big part of OIH. I'd use it if the office is really really small or just a small area to store goods.

If you want to be really analytical you have to run it both ways and see what makes financial sense. I have many retired folks that consult and use a spare bedroom as an office. Basically the $1500 deduction will reduce their net profts significantly that Se is not going to be a major issue. However the fact that they don't have to keep 12 months of utility, repair bills would be ok with them.

Perhaps, so we will have to look at it both ways to see what makes financial sense. I do like the option that many taxpayers who do small side jobs as an independent contractor will be able to use it without detailed recordkeeping requirements. My 2 Mary Kay ladies come to mind!

But after the OIH deduction is simplified, will they still be able to deduct food and vet bills for their "security cat" who guards their inventory?

It will probably have a few reasonable and easily verified requirements, like the cat has to have expended two of the past five lives in the line of duty and be a full time student at an accredited obedience school. Probably attach coroner's reports to Form 8453. Piece of cake, much like EIC has been.

• Like 2

I just paid $150 to buy my "kids" a refrigerator as a Christmas present to keep their home-made cat food. They own a bakery/coffee shop/restaurant and need to keep rodents out of their flour bin. I prepare their partnership tax return. May I deduct $150 as a business expense on my Schedule C?! :P

• Like 1

Does that fall under the category of "gifts to clients"? :read: Generally I don't charge my kids to prepare their tax returns. No income, no expense.

As long it does not exceed $25! Lion should have put that fridge in her office to keep soda for clients and then she could do a sec 179!

I thought about the $25 limitation on gifts to clients too. Actually, when I prepare my kids' returns, I still deduct the paper, toner, etc that I use as part of the whole. So...........the kids are making me lose money. But, they do come in handy when I need a desk moved or blinds hung. (Anyhow, Lion was pulling our chains......I think!)

• Like 1

>>an independent contractor will be able to use it without detailed recordkeeping<<

You mean cleaning and repair receipts? That's usually about all there is besides utility bills, 1098, and tax bills. The real benefit accrues to the IRS, which now has a simplified audit for one of the biggest red flags.