ATX Community

Help with learning taxes

ATS

So long story short, but I just got into taxes about three months ago. I had to find a desk job due to a broke my sternum in the construction field.

anyhow my wife is great at it. She took HR block classes and years of schooling for Accountant. but we were wondering about what is out there for me.

Anyone here know of classes or what to take for someone who is a begginer?

- I handle OIC and know the procedures (433-A,B,F; 633, letter, etc etc.)

- I know 1040 for doing someones basic w2, 1099's, 1098's, efiling, etc etc (I think very basic stuff).

- I know some of 1120's and 1065. but not that much. in all honesty I know the purpose of a K1 and getting them started in ATX with their name and SS# etc.

- Quicbook Financials

- S-tax

if it helps. I am located in Decatur Georgia.

Thanks.

I know HR Block has gotten fussy about who can take their courses, but they are outstanding if they are available to you.

Your current skills should be an great fit with your wife's skills. If she's preparing taxes and has the accounting background to understand balance sheets and therefore entity returns; and you're doing the QuickBooks bookkeeping and OIC and maybe even some of the data entry for her, the two of you should be a productive and efficient pair as is.

As you see what returns your business prepares and what your weaknesses are, you'll be able to pick courses for the off season. I'd strongly suggest studying for and passing the EA exam (for both of you, if you wife hasn't done that yet) to broaden your ability to offer representation for your clients.

Good luck in your new career!

I know HR Block has gotten fussy about who can take their courses, but they are outstanding if they are available to you.

Your current skills should be an great fit with your wife's skills. If she's preparing taxes and has the accounting background to understand balance sheets and therefore entity returns; and you're doing the QuickBooks bookkeeping and OIC and maybe even some of the data entry for her, the two of you should be a productive and efficient pair as is.

As you see what returns your business prepares and what your weaknesses are, you'll be able to pick courses for the off season. I'd strongly suggest studying for and passing the EA exam (for both of you, if you wife hasn't done that yet) to broaden your ability to offer representation for your clients.

Good luck in your new career!

LOL EA exam.

I do plan on doing that.

but I need the baby steps to knowing what I am doing sometimes lol. but I do know more then I take credit for. :D

Learning as assistant to your wife is great; nothing like hands on under supervision to get you going. You won't be able to take the Block course, but most tax societies, like NATP, NAEA have classes and training available. You don't have to be an EA to go to NAEA meetings/classes, and I've found them, at least our local ones, to be excellent.

There are a lot of online beginning and intermediate 1040 and biz return courses that will get you familiar with basic return prep. Maybe someone else here has experience with them, but I know CCH & RIA offer them. You can get package deals with RIA that allows unlimited courses plus discounts on Gear Up seminars.

Come on over and look ore' my shoulder... You'll know how by April.

Wish I could.

Why can't he take the Block course? One of the people that work with me took the course this summer with no intention of ever being employed by Block.

My wife was able to take block classes and she never had entions with being an employee.

Learning as assistant to your wife is great; nothing like hands on under supervision to get you going. You won't be able to take the Block course, but most tax societies, like NATP, NAEA have classes and training available. You don't have to be an EA to go to NAEA meetings/classes, and I've found them, at least our local ones, to be excellent.

There are a lot of online beginning and intermediate 1040 and biz return courses that will get you familiar with basic return prep. Maybe someone else here has experience with them, but I know CCH & RIA offer them. You can get package deals with RIA that allows unlimited courses plus discounts on Gear Up seminars.

If I am unable to do block classes. would you say NATP or NAEA is better, worse or the same?

Both are good; I'd go to a few of your local meetings on topics that interest you to see how you like the societies. Sometimes just being able to network with other local tax pros is really beneficial, just like being on these boards is.

I haven't done many online courses, so I can't comment on the quality of basic 1040 courses.

HRB is definitely the best way to go for a basic course (66 hours). Not only is the course material excellent, the teaching methodology facilitates rapid learning. Additionally, most of the instructors have lots of tax preparation experience. Block has the highest standards requiring an 80% passing grade to be eligible for employment by them.

For courses in corps and partnerships, HRB charges a hefty fee for persons that are not Block preparers, for whom it is free.

The Tax Book, Deluxe, takes you step by step through the 1065 and 1120's tax returns, which, although not a course, will help to get you started there.

All of this is based on my experience with HRB over 10 years ago, so current things may be different.

HR Block is the best. Attend wherever you can now, AND in August, take their basic course. Don't let the word "basic" mis-lead you, you will learn a lot from it.

Another thing that you have to keep in mind is that you will always be learning new things in this profession.

I tend to agree. A salaried job would be better for me if I had to work full-time..

Tax preparation, however, on a part-time basis, working from home, is better than being completely retired and I don't have to fight the traffic, get chewed out by the boss, and I can quit for the day when I feel like it. Fortunately, most of my bosses were good guys. The best boss I ever had was the Resident Auditor at Harlingen AFB when I was in the Air Force.

There is a wonderful course offered by Foothill community college Los Altos, CA in an online format for individual tax returns. I think it is Acctg 67, taught by Joe Mayer a CPA who now works for the IRS. The only problem may be that is also covers California State taxes which you may not care about. I highly recommend it. They also offer an intermediate level Acctg 68A,B and C which is aimed at helping those to prepare for the EA exam.