ATX Community

Here they come! Out of the woodwork

JJStephens

Client whose return is done and has been picked up just called and said 'I forgot to tell you I sell Mary Kay. Does that make a difference?'

Seriously . . . forgot to tell me? I have known this client for several years. We have had multiple face to face meetings discussing taxes, income, deductions, assets, investments, you name it.

I'm gobsmacked.

• Like 2

Client whose return is done and has been picked up just called and said 'I forgot to tell you I sell Mary Kay. Does that make a difference?'

Seriously . . . forgot to tell me? I have known this client for several years. We have had multiple face to face meetings discussing taxes, income, deductions, assets, investments, you name it.

I'm gobsmacked.

Her director told her that if she didn't make a profit of over $1,000 she didn't have to file. We have several Mary Kay clients, and that seems to be the latest tax law change as spoken by upper level Mary Kay directors.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

How is 4/15 at 6pm tax appointment for taking a chance?

Longtime client is out of country on business, returning Sunday night. Could not get hold of him for 2 weeks. His son calls me and says to hold that slot open for his Dad because he believes we can just make it!

The extension form will be pre-printed!

• Like 1

I've made an 11:00 PM appt for Friday. He asked for morning since he works 2nd shift. I don't function well in the morning so I suggested Saturday. He didn't want to make me work on a weekend. (Wish I had more clients like that.) So we agreed to after work Friday. I'm actualy Ok with that. I'd much rather see him at 11:00 PM than 11:00 AM. (Yes, I know I'm strange.)

Had a client pick up their return and tell me their broker called them and said their 1099 was being mailed to them. I said that affects your return so why did you come pick it up instead of telling me. She said your office called and said my return was done.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

We all run into corrected 1099-B and K1 each year. I give my client a standard notice that if they receive those after we have filed they should contact me for filing an amendment and they should also discuss with the broker as to who will pickup the amendment fee.

I am sitting on a 1040X right now where Citibank agreed to pay upto $100 to file a 1040X.

• Like 1

Client called wanted an AM appt. Thats fine with me. I asked what time would he like

He said how about 6:30, you live in the country you must get up early.

I said yes and I may even be working then but I am still in my PJs.

He said, That ok I'll where mine.

I said you can come at 6:30 if you like, but , the gates don't open until 10:00

He came this morning at 10:02.

>>How is 4/15 at 6pm tax appointment for taking a chance?

Longtime client is out of country on business, returning Sunday night. Could not get hold of him for 2 weeks. His son calls me and says to hold that slot open for his Dad because he believes we can just make it!

The extension form will be pre-printed!<<

Why not go ahead and file the extension? That way you don't need to worry about it. I have already filed extensions even on the ones I expect to have completed by the 15th. You never know what might happen between now and the 15th.

Guest Taxed

If it was up to me i would have long filed the extension with a payment. But as you know customer is always right!!! Did not want to completely piss him off, but I will tell him if any data is missiong there will be an extension with payment.

Just got a call from my client. Her 20 yr son messed it up on TurboTax got a letter from the state DOR that he has to submit certain docs. Now she wants me to help him on Saturday and with take me out to dinner after tax season! (Wonder if her BF would like that, He is 6.3 and i am only 5.6???)

I'm a night owl too and have been since I was a little child. It was always a struggle for my mom to get me up for school each morning, always running late for the bus. Now my husband says good night twice, the second time is after he gets up in the night for cookies and milk. I sometimes work up until about 2am and that's my limit. This was the first morning that I didn't have early morning appts with clients, I slept in until 9am and it was wonderful.

I implemented a "no morning appointment" policy this year. I've tried to keep it to a minimum in the past. But I would usually give in instead of answering "No, I can't see you at 10:00 - I'll plan to be sleeping." No more. I guess I'm getting old & cranky - I just don't like morning appointments!

• Like 1

Last night I was talking to a client at 1am; she had emailed me that she was on shift until 'just after midnight'. Handed ove Rhee protective claim this afternoon, and their extensions are filed. Saw two more for pickup at 10pm tonight. I'm happy to get them off my desk! My clients are learning of my odd schedule and don't insist on morning appointments. Although I could do a 6am pretty easy these days.

Guest Taxed

Got a call on my VM at 7:30 am. Urgent need to see me by Monday to get her tax return done. This is a lady who told me i was too expensive last year. Guess what, she went to HRB and when the bill came to $235 she took off bitching at them. She thought that the $120 I was charging her with a Sch A for the last 2 years too much. I am still doing her parents and brother's and gave her the family rate!!

She lost her job and went back to school so HRB wants to charge an extra $75 for the 8863 according to her. Well i am doing it free for her!

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

Last night I was talking to a client at 1am; she had emailed me that she was on shift until 'just after midnight'. Handed ove Rhee protective claim this afternoon, and their extensions are filed. Saw two more for pickup at 10pm tonight. I'm happy to get them off my desk! My clients are learning of my odd schedule and don't insist on morning appointments. Although I could do a 6am pretty easy these days.

Get a neon sign "Open When U Want".

I draw the line at 10pm. Because that appointment will run until 11:30 and i really want to catch the news and Jokes before I turn in.