ATX Community

I feel like an ostrich

rfassett

Lifting my head out of the hole a little more frequently now and stealing more and more daring looks around. It is amazing (and frightening) to realize how much life passes us by while we have our heads buried in our papers and computer screens. Do you all realize that it is the middle of April 2013 already? Just sayin'.

• Like 2

I have so many "to-do after tax season" items, I'm not even sure where to begin. The list is pretty long, but I'm going to start, by getting back in the mix with family and friends. I called my brother last night while driving home. I think he was shocked to hear from me.

I have my 'to do' things too, getting back to my normal life routine. But there's more extension back log this year so I'm still going to have to work longer than normal hours, but not too much. I'll just get to them as I can and try to get the anxious clients done first.

I have my 'to do' things too, getting back to my normal life routine. But there's more extension back log this year so I'm still going to have to work longer than normal hours, but not too much. I'll just get to them as I can and try to get the anxious clients done first.

Look on the bright side--the extensions will keep your tax skills sharp! :P

One of my side line hobbies is beekeeping. I lost a hive over the winter so I ordered a couple packages of bees to start two new hives. I told them I wanted them delivered in early May. Got a call on Friday telling me they would be here yesterday (Saturday). I objected that I ordered a May delivery. They said (effectively) sorry 'bout your luck--I had to either pick them up or forfeit them. So I had to take a break yesterday drive an hour (each way) to get my bees. I still need to put them in the hives--will have to take another break today to do that.

Hey, did you know that there is green grass out there?!?!? When did that happen?

• Like 1

I hate hate hate cold weather (wind, snow, ice) so tax prep is a perfect excuse for me to not go out. Every year...I'm a bear who awakes from hibernation.

This year was different since I purposely cut back, so I did have a "quasi-life"....but I always felt that I had to rush back.

Tuesday....I can go out and relax....without worrying about a ton of calls/e-mails waiting.

• Like 1

Well , the cherry tree at my kitchen window is in full gorgeous bloom. A pair of bluebirds have taken over the box under the tree and the wrens have taken over their's on the front porch. Yes, spring has arrived and with it April 15th ! And those few very late comers are just gonna have to wait !

I try to not let Spring totally pass me by even though I have weed beds, not flower beds. If it's a nice day I'll walk outside with a client when they leave, and I have frequent breaks to take the dogs out for their potty time. I now have chickadees nesting in a box on my front porch and a gorgeous weeping cherry tree in front of my office window that is beautiful. Too bad most of my clients are too early in the year to see it. Two dogwoods will show their blossoms in a couple of weeks and just in time for my birthday. They do makes me sad though because they were a gift from my parents, and my dad is no longer with us. Those dogwoods were his idea.

I had clients stop by to pick up their returns this afternoon, and on has MS, so we just sat down on the chairs I have on the lawn to sign the returns. They brought me cookies. Both dogs and two cats came by for pets. It was nice. One more pick up today. About 10 more extensions to go.

Yeah, occasionally I poke my head up, "oh, North Korea is threatening to nuke us? Whatever." And back to the pile of paper. Going to get the mail, I noticed my irises are blooming. Big beautiful purple ones.

Son saw a post on facebook that had Woody from Toy Story lighting off fireworks in the back yard and the quote underneath said "Still did it better than North Korea.".

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 2

you are all so funny - snowstorm again today - that is usual for the 14th or 15th but this time it is not on grass but adding to the 2-3 ft of snow. The 4 wheeler in the backyard is still buried up to the handle bars. The cold front caused about 20 more lambs to drop but nice and healthy or so hubby says as they are not in the kitchen. The lambs are supposed to be pasture lambimg after 4/15 but no pasture anyway and 35 of them can't read a calendar... found a client Sat who is coming Mon to help with lambing tho' - she used to raise calves and will help for the next couple of weeks! so I can visit the grandbabe! and stay away from the barn. (naughty me) Oh wait I have too many extensins - not really - getting many done yet tonight.. and usual number.