ATX Community

ATX renewals are in the mail

Yardley CPA

Received mine today. Doesn't seem to be any sort of "discount" for all the issues. Just providing a 10% savings if you renew by May 31. The letter from the sales rep did speak to some of the issues the program faced this year and their commitment to ensure all will be well with the new release.

Received mine today. Doesn't seem to be any sort of "discount" for all the issues. Just providing a 10% savings if you renew by May 31. The letter from the sales rep did speak to some of the issues the program faced this year and their commitment to ensure all will be well with the new release.

Just as expected from CCH. Call your rep and complain loudly. I talked to mine last Wednesday and she seemed serious about making some concessions to keep our business. I will NOT renew early, and intend to demand serious discounts only after I see how the program is "fixed" or "flops" the rest of this summer. Also reviewing other options for next tax season.

Just curious, how much discount is anyone going to give their clients next year for all the frustration you caused your clients this year?

Just as I thought.

I know I won't. And I don't expect one from ATX. Those that lost revenue and can prove it was because of ATX should take it up individually with ATX or take it up in court. My biggest beef is with the government and issues it caused, not with ATX.

Notice that the insert has a price for "Payroll" and "Payroll Tax Compliance" modules? If you read the MAX description, it still has "Payroll Tax Compliance" included as part of the package. I wonder for how long? Tom Hollister, CA
You've always been able to buy payroll as a separate module. I bought it separately when I only bought the 1040 package years ago.

Guest Taxed

I won't be surprised if CCH prices ATX max in the future in a manner that will lead the users to consider Taxwise as an alternative within the CCH family of products.

Perhaps some of the enhancements to ATX will be incorporated in the Taxwise program and eventually they will have one tax prep software for the mid market customers. As we all know IRS is most likely Taxwise's biggest customer!

Got to say after all the problems this season, the removed enhancements and the latest issues with vers 12.15, I am amazed any of you are considering renewing, regardless of price.

Well, I think I said this before, but here goes again. I can actually see some good coming from this software. I think they are on the right track with what they are trying to do. But like the three stooges, they just can't seem to get it done the right way. Their support system is now a joke, and that is very sad, because in the days of Maine, no matter what the problems with the software, they had competent people to work on and fix the issues. Now they have a bunch of KB readers.

I am going to see what transpires over the summer. I like the all inclusive package that MAX gives me for the price. I don't do a lot of Corps or Partnerships, but I have a few. I also do some PR reporting at the end of the year for a few of my clients, as well as 1099's. I don't pay a lot to get those features.

The speed issue is getting acceptable, but not good. I think they will get that worked out. Most of the forms and calculations seem to be coming through properly now. There are some annoyances still, but in general, it seems to be working out OK. I can live with slow speed for the time being.

I want to use some of the print functions next year. That was a huge disappointment that there seems to be a way to make some real progress towards what was a weakness in the old version of the software. It ain't there yet, but if it does get there, I think the print function could be a real winner in the future.

I am learning to use the software and getting around most of its quirks. I did that in the old software, too.

I am willing to go one more year. If it works out, good for me. If not, I will re-evaluate. But I will not re-up until the last minute.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I had a problem come in to the office today that diffently goes back to ATX.

He had received a lump sum payment on social security and I completed the lump sum payment worksheet, the 1040 had the proper code on the front next to the amount of social security claimed, but the lump sum payment worksheet did not get transmitted so my client got a letter that asked for another 1600.00 in taxes because of a social security reporting error. I took a look at the letter, duplicated the return and deleted the lump sum worksheet and came up to the figure IRS was claiming. Then I went back to the original return and looked at what had been

e-filed and the lump sum worksheet did not go with the return.

So I have to call tomorrow and see how they want us to fix it.

So I'm not in a hurry to renew although I probably will for the same reason that Bull Dog Tom listed.

Deb!

I'm curious about something.

Would ANYONE on this forum seriously consider renewing early?

Seems like a colossal waste of time for ATX to even ask. But on the other hand if they happen to be thinking about abandoning the product (as some have suggested), then a lack of early renewals might actualy help drive that decision. Looks like a bit of a Catch-22 for those considering hanging on.

I'm curious about something.

Would ANYONE on this forum seriously consider renewing early?

Seems like a colossal waste of time for ATX to even ask. But on the other hand if they happen to be thinking about abandoning the product (as some have suggested), then a lack of early renewals might actualy help drive that decision. Looks like a bit of a Catch-22 for those considering hanging on.

You have a point, JohnH, but I am pretty sure that even though ATX personnel don't post on this board, they are looking at it at least occasionally and are seeing that their early renewal numbers are not necessarily indicative of total renewals the way they might have been in the past. I don't yet know what I am going to do; while the software worked for me this year (but just barely!) we are in a networked environment and some of the comments about the Raven DB not being designed to work in a network environment make me a little nervous that it is never going to be quite right for me.

On the other hand, by the end of tax season the only issue I was really seeing was that the software s still slow to open, close and input. I just don't know yet but I will be looking at what else is available and at what price. So far, I don't see much out there that is as comprehensive for the price. I just can't take another season like this past one.

If ATX intends to stay in the market, wouldn't them sending out their early renewal letters demonstrate this? Of course we are all frustrated and have no intention of renewing early, but if ATX is not going out of business, then they need to proceed business as usual. I made it clear to them at the NYC technology show that I will not be renewing early and if I don't leave I also do not expect to pay full price if they do retain me.

Situations at different tax offices are different. Changing software for you may be a speed bump. For us, it is a HUGE mountain.

Jack:

I know it is not always easy to switch, but it is really not as hard as you perceive.

As a consultant I used to assist small to medium (medium up to about 100 staff) sized CPA offices in setting up in-house systems. Although, every office is different, changing software and the learning curve during the off season is really less grief than you believe. I helped offices start in-house systems (ok that was years ago) and switch tax software vendors, all with success.

What I would suggest is to test the free versions of other software without making the commitment to switch and see how your staff handle it. You may find your staff surprise you and are more capable than you think.

And now is the time to do this, not December, January or February, when season is once again upon us.

On the other hand, by the end of tax season the only issue I was really seeing was that the software s still slow to open, close and input. ...

Gail:

Did you not use any of the features that ATX removed, such as: the Excel Spreadsheet module (and outside Excel is not the same as there is no linking ability), QuickBooks import features, W-2 import features, inline cell formulas and the many other features that they removed?

Gail:

Did you not use any of the features that ATX removed, such as: the Excel Spreadsheet module (and outside Excel is not the same as there is no linking ability), QuickBooks import features, W-2 import features, inline cell formulas and the many other features that they removed?

Joel, I did not use those. I have noticed however, that some reports I used to get (such as non-returning client) don't seem to be there anymore. I also noticed this year that when I password protect a return, that does not protect the information from anyone with access to the software looking at it in the Tax Warehouse. That may have been the case all along, but sort of makes password protection useless. I feel sure there are features that I would miss if I wasn't so frustrated so early in the season that all i wanted to do by the end was just get the blasted return to open!

We are definitely going to be looking this summer. I already have copies of Drake and ProSeries on my desk. Like most accountants, I hate changing software but if there is any chance I am going to want to change, I want to be looking now, decide for sure by August and be ready to go by December.

I don't want another year like this past year.

Tax season was a whole year long, wasn't it?

Gail

... I also noticed this year that when I password protect a return, that does not protect the information from anyone with access to the software looking at it in the Tax Warehouse. That may have been the case all along, but sort of makes password protection useless. I feel sure there are features that I would miss if I wasn't so frustrated so early in the season that all i wanted to do by the end was just get the blasted return to open!

WOW, Great Point!

If ATX intends to stay in the market, wouldn't them sending out their early renewal letters demonstrate this? Of course we are all frustrated and have no intention of renewing early, but if ATX is not going out of business, then they need to proceed business as usual. I made it clear to them at the NYC technology show that I will not be renewing early and if I don't leave I also do not expect to pay full price if they do retain me.

Just to be clear, I'm not implying that I think they will shut down ATX or not. I was just brainstorming the scenario because marketing & sales is important to me in my other role. Most businesses contemplating major moves go to great pains to pretend that nothing has changed until the last possible moment. They keep insisting that "nothing has changed", "we're staying the course", "your interests are paramount", and so on. Then they lower the boom, hopefully at a time that has enabled them to keep loyal customers on the hook past the point that bolting to the competition is just too painful.

I've seen it numerous times in the medical equipment field - happens all the time. It may seem insensitive and uncaring, but the objective in business is to make money, not friends.

• Like 2

I know there were some features that were removed but I commend ATX for taking the move to make the software more functional for the balance of the year. I did not miss any of those features and the removal of those only proved to speed up my productivity. Would I like to have them back? Sure, but not at the price of my productivity. Do I expect them to lower the price for removing them? No, as long as it did not lower my productivity. The software is just a tool for our profession. Any tool that does the job we need it to do when we need to do it is a tool well respected. Case in point, I was installing legs on a table earlier today and the screws had allen wrench tops. I did not have an allen wrench which made the job problematic. I did not have a small enough screw driver to make it work. So I finally got my DeWalt power drill out and I had the right tip to do the job. Should I have sent the table back because I did not have the right tool? I could not agree more that this tax season was extremely frustrating. For me, ATX was third in line. Congress was very first, personal issues played second just ahead of ATX. I do think ATX finished the season strong and if they maintain that momentum into the next year, we should be in very, very good shape. I hate to say that the whole ATX iissue is being blown out of proportion, and I do understand the level of frustration many of us felt, but as for me and mine, we are taking a wait and see approach. And to display my confidence that I believe ATX will get the job done, I am not wasting any of my valuable time over the summer and fall to evaluate different software. You are all hereby put on notice that you can feel free to say "I told you so" if my gamble turns out to be a bust.

... I hate to say that the whole ATX iissue is being blown out of proportion, and I do understand the level of frustration many of us felt....

Methinks you have had your head in the sand too long!!! That comment makes you seem VERY uninformed!!

You have no clue about the problems faced by large tax businesses using ATX this year. The software is still VERY FAR from acceptable.

Methinks you have had your head in the sand too long!!! That comment makes you seem VERY uninformed!!

You have no clue about the problems faced by large tax businesses using ATX this year. The software is still VERY FAR from acceptable.

Not uninformed. But very much a realist and very much one to pick his battles carefully. If keeping my head in the sand is one of my traits, I would suggest you give it a try. It gives a much different perspective on life. And this is not a my (fill in your own word) is bigger than your (fill in your own word) discussion.