ATX Community

IRS E-Services

Terry D EA

I decided to use the e-services in an attempt to resolve the problems that I posted under "More IRS Incompetency". I have used this in the past with some luck but not recently. I hope in doing so, I haven't created any additional heart ache. Seemed simply enough to identify the notice and make a response. Got a tracking number, printed all the stuff, and now fingers are crossed. Supposed to hear in (3) days. Anyone else use the e-services for a fairly simple account resolutions? Before anyone asks, I did complete the POA using the e-services as well.

Just in time:

The Internal Revenue Service said in an email to tax professionals Friday that it plans to retire and remove its Disclosure Authorization and Electronic Account Resolution applications from its online eServices on August 11, largely because of low usage and budget cuts.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/IRS-Closes-Disclosure-Authorization-Electronic-Account-Resolution-Apps-67046-1.html?ET=webcpa:e7215:134105a:&st=email

I am so bummed as I use this several times yearly and find it incredibly more convenient than the old way.

Just in time:

The Internal Revenue Service said in an email to tax professionals Friday that it plans to retire and remove its Disclosure Authorization and Electronic Account Resolution applications from its online eServices on August 11, largely because of low usage and budget cuts.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/IRS-Closes-Disclosure-Authorization-Electronic-Account-Resolution-Apps-67046-1.html?ET=webcpa:e7215:134105a:&st=email

I am so bummed as I use this several times yearly and find it incredibly more convenient than the old way.

I must say that I have been far less than satisfied with e-services. I frequently cannot get POAs accepted online -- and even when I can they are frequently nOT available on the computer system of whatever office I need to call to get something fixed. Even when that POA was filed online, properly, even weeks earlier, "not in this system; do you have a valid POA to fax me?" Very frustrating.

Can't recall if I have ever tried the EAR successfully, either. Last time I tried again whatever it was was not eligible or something; don't recall the details.

If they made the system WORK I'm sure it would get lots of use!

• Like 1

I posted the same topic here after this thread but before I saw it.

KC if you can merge my post there and add it here that would help.

Also, I would suggest that anyone that has trouble with e-services POA's and transcript delivery look at CCH's product:

TaxScripts which can be purchased at CCH, ATX or Taxwise and costs $195.00. I have found that I can enter a POA, and download 20-40 IRS transcripts in about 5-10 minutes using the CCH software.

And although I am an ATX basher Taxscripts is a great tool!

• Like 1

Just wrote my congressman the following letter:

The IRS citing "low usage" is planning to eliminate the 2848 input to E Services as well as the Electronic Account Resolution (EAR) products. WE will now have to either call Practitioners Hotline or fax it to CAF.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/taxprotoday/news/IRS-Closes-Disclosure-Authorization-Electronic-Account-Resolution-Apps67048-1.html?ET=webcpa:e7217:92331a:&st=email&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tpt_061013&taxpro

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-services---Online-Tools-for-Tax-Professionals

As we become more electronic e-services become of greater importance, & I expect more professionals will use them. Currently it can take days or weeks to get a POA enter via the CAF unit to allow a representative to speak with IRS and resolve taxpayer issues.

Not being able to enter POA's through eservices makes it near impossible to deal with emergency situations, & timely deal with the taxpayers' problems and issues.

When it is necessary to send a POA to an agent, revenue officer or someone in the collection system, it is not only time consuming, but it is a FINANCIAL BURDEN TO TAXPAYERS. It is especially burdensome when it is necessary to speak with and fax the POA to multiple IRS employees, something that happens more often than not.

Not being able to enter POA's directly through e-services, also makes it near impossible to deal with emergency situations for taxpayers.

IRS requires electronic means when it helps them, but has consistently discontinued electronic means to timely assist taxpayers with their tax problems (for instance some years ago one could email IRS to communicate timely and quickly, but shortly after this efficient system was put into place IRS pulled it for snail mail options).

Please Help the taxpayers of Nevada and the rest of this country to be able to efficiently deal with their tax issues, by stopping IRS from retiring a service that truly helps the citizens of this country resolve one of their most important issues - Tax Problems.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance in this matter.

This just the same script with different characters:

Politicians pass poorly crafted "feel good"leglislation and pat themselves on the back

Politicians cut Agency xyz budget citing government waste.

Agency lay offs employees and cuts services to balance budget.

Everyone complains loudly about cutbacks, screwups etc etc

Politicians hold hearing about poor services, screwups etc etc expressing their righteous indignation.

Let's keep doing the same thing over and over and keep expecting a different result!!!

Joel, I will merge them if you REALLY WANT ME TO, but I think it's a valuable enough message that keeping both threads makes sense to me, because some will read the new one that perhaps skip this one.

As long as it is ok , let's leave both theads.

SO now everyone else, At least sign the Beyond 415 Petition!

• 1 month later...

Latest update from Beyond 415:

Hello ____,

Since the IRS announced its decision last month to retire two major e-Services products, we received almost 4,000 practitioner signatures on our online petition urging the IRS to reconsider its decision. On Monday, we formally submitted the petition and final list of signatures to the IRS.

Last week, the IRS Electronic Administration Advisory Committee (ETAAC) contacted us with an update that it has also urged the IRS not to retire Disclosure Authorization and Electronic Account Resolution e-Services products without offering new options to replace their functionality. ETAAC expressed hope that the IRS will open a dialogue with e-Services users about the changes.

Various tax professional associations are also pushing for the IRS to reconsider its decision.

What you can do:

Personally urge IRS action and open communication on this issue, using our sample letter and list of contact information for stakeholder organizations and representatives.

Thank you for your support on this issue. We will keep you updated as the Aug. 11 retirement date becomes imminent.

My best,

Jim Buttonow, CPA, CITP, cofounder, Beyond415

And here is a link to article regarding the same on Accounting Today

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/thousands-of-practitioners-protest-end-of-e-services-tools-67469-1.html?ET=webcpa:e7435:92331a:&st=email&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tpt_072213&taxpro