ATX Community

ATX 2013 System Requirements Letter

I got a letter from ATX today saing that the minimum processor required to run ATX 2013 program is 2.8 GHz and recommended processor is 3.4 Ghz (Intel Cre7 i7 Quard processor or higher.

My computer has 2.7 GHz processor. should I buy myself a new computer in order tomake sure that ATX 2013 will run?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

naveen mohan

I don't use ATX anymore but I would not go out there and buy a new system just to go from 2.7GHz to 2.8GHZ because some software is so picky?

If you were going to upgrade your computer anyways then get the best deal you can afford.

I have an i3 processor and 4gb memory and it is fast for all my business applications. I don't play online video games, though my son tells me that if I had a i7 I would only see marginal improvement on business software speed, but graphic intensive tasks would improve significantly with a i7 and 8gb of memory.

I believe a decent i7 desktop is around $800 these days.

Im in the market for a new system and Im surprised that the recommended processor is an i7. That is a significant processor for tax software. Amazing

One never knows when tax preparers may be called upon to help restart the Space Shuttle program.

It's good policy to be prepared.

• Like 2

Naveen,

You really need the I7 processor. The Speed isn't that important. I don't think you can go forward with ATX without it. You could have problems. Also make sure you get a Win 7 machine. Check with ATX support.

August @ ADG Financial.com

I have no problem with the i7 as I was planning on getting one anyway however I was planning on making the move to windows 8.1 which was just released a few weeks ago. Do you know what the issue is with Win 8 or is it just your personal suggestion?

Thanks

Jack do you care to explain.

I know win 8 uses the "metro" desktop which is a tile interface similar to mobile phones but everything I have read (and the improvements with the recent 8.1 update) leads me to believe that a similar functionality is in place including a similar start button. I have no issues navigating the OS and know my way around an OS pretty well. To be honest if tax software would run on Linux that would be my first choice as I setuo all my systems to dual boot to Win or Linux. Is there a functioality issue wiht Win8?

I just bought a Win 8 PC this summer because I couldn't find anything else. No issues with any programs yet but I only do tax work on the side and don't really ramp up until January. I have used ATX 2012 to some degree on the Win 8 and have not had any problems. I have opened a few of my larger returns (35 forms) and have not had any problems. The new computer really speeded up the ATX software. My 2 cents. I'm not a techie but I suspect ATX and Win 8 will be fine for my purposes (about 100 returns on the side of a full time job). Hope this helps.

Julie

Naveen,

You really need the I7 processor. The Speed isn't that important. I don't think you can go forward with ATX without it. You could have problems. Also make sure you get a Win 7 machine. Check with ATX support.

For 2012, I had a new i5 dual core with 3.GHz and had few issues. Win 7 Home 64 bit; 12 G ram (which was more than I needed). This year, I got a new laptop with i5, 2.8 GHz Win 7 Pro 64. However, I did beta testing with a Win 7 laptop with an Intel Pentium processor T4200 dual core with 2.0 GHz and 3 G Ram and had no issues. I expect to use all three of these machines for the 2012 tax season and don't expect speed problems. The reason for the new laptop is to replace the 2002 XP machine which is in perfect working order, but was having trouble processing difficult returns in 2011.

So, you can see that a variety of different configurations can do the job. The biggest keys are maintenance and backup. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but you definitely don't need to purchase the biggest and the best gaming machine to have a successful tax season.

OK, before I purchased my new Win 7 machine I checked with ProSeries and ATX both advised against Win 8. They said that the 2014 would work with Win 8 but programs before 2014 might have problems. I might be able to do a 2012 or 2011 return but it might not save correctly. I'm saying before I invest the dollars call your software provider and check with them. I do returns for people that haven't filed in years. So sometimes I need to do a 2009 or other year. I keep a XP machine for just in case I have a really old return.

Why not ask?

I recommending making a full backup of the client files and restoring it after installing ATX 2011 or any prior version using the original CD and then updating the programs and forms.

I just did that myself this weekend because I got a 1TB hard drive for my system .

I don't think I have a choice with this new system....Win 8 is the only option....I will still have my XP system for use on prior year returns. I know "learning" Win 8 will be tough, but I feel its is a matter of when not if. I'd rather get the system now and have a few months to get used to it prior to tax season.

• Like 1

I was just at Dell's Website. Most of their business system selections give you the option of Win 7 or Win 8.

if you go to consumer or home computer websites, your only option is Win 8.

i also went to Lenovo's website which also gives you the option of both Win 7 & Win 8. Lenovo (formerly IBM

PCs) is now the largest P C maker in the world.

Acer (or Gateway) also sells business machines with Win 7 upgradeable to Win 8. My new 17" laptop is one of them and my IT person who set it up says it is extremely well built. I never considered anything except IBM until Lenovo bought them out. Since then we have all been a Gateway family. Nowadays they are mostly made in China so a name, is a name, is a name. Take care of your equipment and it will generally serve you well. Neglect or abuse it and you will get what you deserve.

I have many hours of experience and evaluation to make any statements that I do.

Believe me, or don't.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

The $599 system from Vision Computers will be plenty adequate. I am an approved reseller. If you wish to get a system, I can streamline the process. Message me.

No need to spend thousands on hardware for tax year 2013.

Win 7 is a good platform, very stable. Win 8 was not so greatt, but Win 8.1 is a significant improvement. I agree, IF you go with Win8.1, you should get it now so you have time to get used to it. We've mostly all gone through many platforms, and learned them all. And each had something more to offer. I don't ever think it's good to jump into a new platform before it's had it's bugs worked out, but we do have to move forward now and then.