ATX Community

ATX 2013 (Very smart move to increase minimum requirement)

Pacun

I guess ATX learned its lesson and decided to increase the minimum requirement for computer systems.

Just by doing that, they eliminated 50% of the complaints about the "program taking a long time to load" or similar issues. That's without mentioning that they completely eliminated Windows XP 32bit which cannot even handle 4G of RAM from their support line.

I had no problems last year but I had a stand alone powerful computer.

Here is where the problem is....for some reason ATX decided to bump the memory cap to 4.0GB up from 1.5GB. Why they allow a program to build up that much memory is beyond me as I am surprised they did not find a way for the program to start dumping its memory as the user saves the file.

Here is where the problem is....for some reason ATX decided to bump the memory cap to 4.0GB up from 1.5GB. Why they allow a program to build up that much memory is beyond me as I am surprised they did not find a way for the program to start dumping its memory as the user saves the file.

I bet you that you will be able to install and run ATX 2013 on an XP box with 2G of RAM. The problem is that the program will be slow and you will be calling Tech support because each time you do an update, your computer will give you hard time.

Some programs prior to installing query your computer about disk space, RAM and processing power but you still can install. Of course, if you want to have a life, you better instal with the recommended requirements, not the minimum.

I ran ATX's system requirement check, and every computer in our office, including the server, passed everything except Broadband speed. I am in a rural area, and we pretty much have to take what we get for broadband, and remember that it is better than when we had dial-up. I don't understand why i can stream a movie, but the internet speed isn't fast enough for a tax program to work properly (at least according to ATX.) :scratch_head:

• Like 1

I ran ATX's system requirement check, and every computer in our office, including the server, passed everything except Broadband speed. I am in a rural area, and we pretty much have to take what we get for broadband, and remember that it is better than when we had dial-up. I don't understand why i can stream a movie, but the internet speed isn't fast enough for a tax program to work properly (at least according to ATX.) :scratch_head:

Ditto......I passed everything too, except the Broadband and for the same reasons cited above. I have no other options. Just as I struggled for years with dialup while many of you were streaming broadband.

I just can't believe a 1000-2000 software requires people to have top of line equipment to run it.

One never knows when tax preparers may be called upon to help send men into space or process data for the NSA. Need to be prepared for any contingency. Tax preparation isn't just about basic math, looking things up in tables, and filling in forms, you know.

• Like 1

My experience and observation...

Any broadband internet connection will work properly for ATX 2013.

Where I live in Upstate NY there is no Broadband or Cable (Very Rural). The only choice I have is Dial up, Satelite, or MiFi (3G). I use MiFI. I had to switch to AT&T from Verizon's MiFi as the connection from the Cell Tower kept getting worse & worse. AT&T costs twice as much with a Capped 10G Data, but at least I am not constantly seeing the "Circle" of never loading webpage. My laptop is 8G RAM, Win7Prof, i7 Processor. I run stand alone, but still very slow at times and I could not open two returns at the same time. The Efile upload takes forever. Do you think I will have a great deal of issues for the 2014 Tax Season?

Where I live in Upstate NY there is no Broadband or Cable (Very Rural). The only choice I have is Dial up, Satelite, or MiFi (3G). I use MiFI. I had to switch to AT&T from Verizon's MiFi as the connection from the Cell Tower kept getting worse & worse. AT&T costs twice as much with a Capped 10G Data, but at least I am not constantly seeing the "Circle" of never loading webpage. My laptop is 8G RAM, Win7Prof, i7 Processor. I run stand alone, but still very slow at times and I could not open two returns at the same time. The Efile upload takes forever. Do you think I will have a great deal of issues for the 2014 Tax Season?

Check your messages.

My experience and observation...

Any broadband internet connection will work properly for ATX 2013.

I had what I have now last year and had no issues at all with downloads, sending e-files and/or receiving acks. It may have failed the test, but so far, it has not failed me.