ATX Community

Threatening Phone call from IRS Agent

today I received three threatening phone calls on my answering machine from one IRS office named Jason Mullen on my home telephone line. He said that it is time sensitive and wishes me good luck if he does not hear from us or our attorney at his PRIVATE line (716) 320-0319.

He did not leave an employee number.

I do not have any open tax matter and If it refers to any of my client he did not leave a client name.

I have not yet called him back. what should I do?

Naveen Mohan

I agree it sound like a scam to shake you down. Please save that voice mail. You may need it if legal action is required.

If he calls back, i would engage in a conversation without disclosing anything but to find out what information he has and what is that he wants. I would actually record it (not legal in all states) on my answering machine by hitting the record button.

DO NOT AGREE TO MEET AT YOUR HOME. ASK his where his office is and tell him you will meet him in his office. Then check that address.

The description given of the call does not fit the profile of IRS communications with taxpayers; private agent lines are never disclosed, and agent ID numbers are required. I suggest that you go to www.irs.gov. and contact TIGTA (Treasury Inspector General for Tax Admininistration: the Service's Internal Affairs). Your report of this sort of thing is not the first that has been heard about. Good luck and do not respond to the call in question, since it is either counterfeit or an example of an IRS employee abusing his/her authority.

(716) 320-0319
South Dayton, New York
Just did a reverse lookup on that # and also checked that this # has been flagged as suspicious.
Mr. Mohan, DO NOT initiate any contact with this #.

If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:

• If you know you owe taxes or you think you might owe taxes, call the IRS at 1.800.829.1040. The IRS employees at that line can help you with a payment issue – if there really is such an issue.
  • If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1.800.366.4484.
  • If you’ve been targeted by this scam, you should also contact the Federal Trade Commission and use their “FTC Complaint Assistant” at FTC.gov. Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" to the comments of your complaint.

This crook is probably using a no contract cell phone purchased with cash at a gas station?

A friend of mine, her teenage daughter was getting lewd calls at all times on her phone and when cops traced it, that is what it turned out to be a pre-paid throwaway cell phone.

I just finished a two-day tax seminar where one of the speakers was a 30-year IRS employee and a tax attorney. He got a similar call. Boy, did they call the wrong person. He actually did call back (after his federal friends instituted call tracing) and he's playing along. Your scammer was dumb, not including an agent number (even if made up) and stating that this was his personal line. It's time to remember that the IRS never, ever calls taxpayers and asks for personal info. They have to follow something called the Internal Revenue Code which is very specific that letters (not calls) have to go out at specified intervals. I think the only exception is when Criminal Investigation is involved. Those guys are cops, carry guns, and show up at your house in the middle of the night rather than call to make an appointment. You were obviously the target of a scammer and you did the right thing to ignore.

• Like 1

Unfortunately some people fear the IRS so much that they allow scammers to victimize them by following their instructions, instead of calling law enforcement. If you will notice most of them target immigrant communities where they fear the INS and IRS.