ATX Community

Laugh of the Day (contains vulgar language)

kcjenkins

I am reminded of the wonderful Bill Bryson book, "In A Sunburnt Country" where he discusses the various dangerous items in Australia. Animal, vegetable, mineral -- land and sea; the hazards are extensive. He in fact makes up quotes from the should-be-real-but-hasn't-been-written-yet book, "Things That Will Kill You Horribly in Australia -- Volume 19."

It's a great book (Bryson's, not the one he references, lol).

• Like 1

So my neighbor tore down his little house at the back of the property and built a McMansion at the front of the property outside our master bedroom. I actually had to buy a bathroom shade for the first time since 1978. Then the new owner put in that very same terawatt floodlight pointed at our bedroom window. If it weren't mounted so high, I'd relocate it to his letter box. Plus his barky dog is out all the time barking. Yes, even at 2:50 a.m. in 22 degree weather and snow. Maybe the dog warden would relocate the dog AND the floodlight.

• Like 3

So my neighbor tore down his little house at the back of the property and built a McMansion at the front of the property outside our master bedroom. I actually had to buy a bathroom shade for the first time since 1978. Then the new owner put in that very same terawatt floodlight pointed at our bedroom window. If it weren't mounted so high, I'd relocate it to his letter box. Plus his barky dog is out all the time barking. Yes, even at 2:50 a.m. in 22 degree weather and snow. Maybe the dog warden would relocate the dog AND the floodlight.

Pellet guns are very quiet!! Daytime raid is best. Those replacement bulbs must be expensive!!

• Like 1

So my neighbor tore down his little house at the back of the property and built a McMansion at the front of the property outside our master bedroom. I actually had to buy a bathroom shade for the first time since 1978. ... Yes, even at 2:50 a.m. in 22 degree weather and snow. .

If I had to use the little house at the back of my property at 3 in the morning and it was 22 out, I'd consider tearing it down and building something with indoor plumbing also. True, the little house didn't need a shade, but that's a small price ...

• Like 2

They bought the house for 1.5 million brand new and then spent a year renovating it and adding a pool at which point they took the whole family to Greece for the summer to celebrate, so I don't think they'll mind buying new bulbs or paying their handyman to climb up there or maybe their weekly housekeeping service. (Also, landscapers three times per week plus pool service weekly.)

I'd considered installing my own terawatt lamp, but their bedrooms are on the opposite side of their house from mine.

I'll think about target practice, though.

Do you now any 13 year olds with bb guns? If it is so high up, the owner will get tired of replacing it at some point. As I read this story, I just kept thinking "would I use a bb gun or a .22?".

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 4

I am reminded of the wonderful Bill Bryson book, "In A Sunburnt Country" where he discusses the various dangerous items in Australia. Animal, vegetable, mineral -- land and sea; the hazards are extensive. He in fact makes up quotes from the should-be-real-but-hasn't-been-written-yet book, "Things That Will Kill You Horribly in Australia -- Volume 19."

It's a great book (Bryson's, not the one he references, lol).

ALL Bryson's books are hilarious, as well as educational. Love them.

• Like 1

my old Daisy bb gun could fire finishing nails dropped down the barrel, breaks the light and leaves nothing incrimination like a bullet or bb.

Good point, but maybe first Lion should check with City Hall or County, which ever applies, to see if there are any 'light pollution' laws that might apply. Often are, where people have problems with commercial lights, they pass laws to limit the use of those high-output lights. Not often used in residential areas, but still apply there.

Of course, I'm assuming that you already tried asking them nicely to re-aim the light, if possible. Sometimes, just aiming it HIGHER, so that although it still lights up things a lot, at least it's not beaming directly into your windows, so that curtains will work, is enough to make it bearable. Lots of people don't think about aiming it higher, or lower, to control the range of the beam.

Slingshot and a pebble. ^_^

Anyone remember "Wrist Rockets"? They were a slingshot that wrapped around your wrist to give you more power. Every squirel, bird and occasional cat (when no one was looking - sorry cat lovers) that got in my way when I was 10 got hit by that thing. Incredibly powerful.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 3

Ahh this is the story of my life. One street over a new dental office was built that contains the terabite light that shines brightly in our bedroom and the neighbor's dog runs the fence and barks when they fall asleep (death sleep I guess) and they can't seem to hear it. As KC mentioned there are light rules/laws here and the dentist laughed when I told them about their obnoxious light. Didn't want to push too hard when the dentist had the drill in her hand. I too have thought about the BB gun. I think I'll experiment with the finish nail issue sounds interesting.

Anyone remember "Wrist Rockets"? They were a slingshot that wrapped around your wrist to give you more power. Every squirel, bird and occasional cat (when no one was looking - sorry cat lovers) that got in my way when I was 10 got hit by that thing. Incredibly powerful.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I have two in the basement, one for each of my sons. Am sure they must need some fine tuning. Am sorry to hear that you shot at cats. Sure hope your aim was bad!