ATX Community

Pondering a tablet PC

Margaret CPA in OH

I've been considering a replacement for my clunky dated laptop and pondering a tablet PC. A good friend and attorney just got and highly recommended the Microsoft Surface Pro 2. Sounds really good but not sure I am ready to spend $1000+ when laptops are so much less. But, but, it can do so much more, is lighter, more powerful, etc.

Pros? Cons? Alternatives?

It really depends on what you're going to use it for. A tablet can't really replace a laptop for production purposes.

If you're just going to browse the web, email, lookup stuff, maintain your calendar,

maybe even some tax research then one of the better tablets may work.

I use my tablet for many things including this forum. However, I consider it a toy and a luxury for me. It can never replace either my desktop or high-powered business laptop. I know the new PC tablets are much more advanced, but very pricey. For less money you can get a REALLY good laptop with Win 7. Add a wireless mouse and away you go and take your work with you. Obviously, different scenarios work for different people.

I was researching what to get last fall. Wanted something lighter for travel. Not for tax returns or heavy business. Liked the Surface as it has Office, so I could work on an Excel spreadsheet or edit a Word document. If you get it -- and make sure you have the desktop(s) and laptop(s) you need for business first -- get the bigger keyboard. I almost bought one before the end of the year, again for travel as I have a huge Dell laptop and gigantic Dell desktop with three monitors, but the larger memory ones were unavailable in December.

I did buy a iPad instead with a keyboard for travel and to have something with a larger screen than my iPhone for surfing the web with my aging eyes, easy to carry around. But, I take my laptop when I go to a business client's site.

Thanks so much for all the great feedback. This is not intended to replace my business desktop which is made by my computer go-to guy who has made my last 5 computers. I also do not use my laptop for my tax business, just for CPR classes and church work.

I am finding that my smartphone is not so easy for web browsing (old eyes) and my Kindle Fire is slow on the internet (but I love watching old tv shows when I'm on the treadmill) but my FitBit and Garmin software is on my laptop. My laptop takes a long time (all relative, isn't it?) to boot up and is less convenient than I would like. Laptop isn't as lap friendly as it used to be and these tablet PC's seem a nice compromise for fun and light duty work plus Skype. I like the lighter weight feature among others.

Well, it isn't an immediate purchase so will keep all this in mind until after the season. I am thinking it would be great to have on my July dive trip to Palau and Truk lagoon, though!

Thanks again, all!

For those uses, it might be excellent. on the link I sent you, look at the comparisons for the different Surface options, as the less expensive ones might be a good compromise. I've seen the Surface, and it does have some attractive features. Also the newer laptops are a lot lighter and faster and still cost less than they used to, but the longer battery life on the Surface is sure tempting when traveling.

I got one for my wife when her netbook and laptop turned to toast. Have only had it a short time and it has windows 8.1 and still getting used to that. With the keyboard you can use either touch screen or the keyboard and that makes it nice. I have loaded a couple of programs on it and the work no problem. Wireless is easy. Loaded our printer drivers on it and works great. So far so good. I won't be able to use it much (after all it is hers, right) until after tax season. Fits in her carry bag she uses great. Light weight. No, I am not getting a commission on this.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/01/asus-transformer-book-t100-review/

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/asus-transformer-book-t100/4505-3126_7-35827544.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-transformer-book-t100_Tablet_review

Walmart $379

The keyboard part doesn’t add masses of connections. It brings a single USB 3.0, letting you plug in a mouse, external hard drive or other accessory.

The tablet has a micro MDMI video output, a microSD memory card slot, headphone jack and microUSB port. It’s a simple setup, but keeps the tablet easy to operate. A nice feature is that the microUSB is used for charging and data transfer – rather than a proprietary port. This means that you can use an Android phone charger to charge the battery (a 2A charger is needed for full speed charging, though).

This just might be my new toy !!!

I got my iPad primarily for the same reason: travel. My old laptop weighed a ton and the new one I bought as a computer for my assistant to work on and for remote work, not to take on airplanes.

The iPad (or any tablet) doesn't have to be taken out of a case and is light to carry. I just put it in the tote I always take as my second carry-on and it goes through security as easy as a purse or a jacket. Plus its a lot easier on my old eyes. I got an iPad 2, not one of the latest versions and as long as I have wifi, I have all I need when on the road. The Windows or Android versions might have a conventional wired hookup which I do miss in hotels where the wifi is spotty. I bought a case that has a Bluetooth keyboard attached, and although that adds a bit of weight, it helps when I have to do a lot of keying.

I have an Acer Iconia Android tablet and I like it so much that I just bought another on on Ebay in case mine fails. It is awesome for traveling. I also have the advantage of connecting to AT&T if there is no WiFi around. It has a USB port, an AMDI port and a place for a mini memory card, which is where all of my pictures go. As I said before, with SIMM card for ATT, I have everything I need in a "TOY". Oh, is also a camera so all pictures go to 16G memory card. I don't read books on it, but download music and I can take my Pinterest and ATX board anywhere I go; not to mention E-mail and/or anything else on the web. I am a pretty avid reader, but when I read, I want paper in my hands. On the couch, on the porch, in the car........love, love, love it. Because of this, I don't have a smart phone so my cell phone is just that, a phone and easy to carry in my pocket. These are the kinds of rewards I work for. I try to get myself a present every tax season.