ATX Community

Bargain Hunters Driving Me Crazy

pikester1967

Me: Pike's Tax Service may I help you.
Caller: Hey Pike how much you charge to do taxes.
Me: Instant Headache! Another one! :wall:
Over 5 calls just like this today alone. New Clients, wanting price before I even know what they have.
Suggestions appreciated.
I think Janitor Bob gave Crazy Mary my phone number just too torture me. :)

1. "Depends on what it involves. Would you like an appointment to discuss it? Or you can email me a copy of last year's return, and a list of any changes in your circumstances, and I can then give you an estimate."

2. "I can't tell you until I know what is involved. Tell me about yourself."

3. "How much dirt's in a hole?"

1 when I'm busy, 2 when I have time to discuss it. 3 when I'm fed up or their tone of voice suggests they are only interested in price. Those are not worth the trouble.

• Like 5

super answers!

ours is

a basic tax return is $60 for 1 W-2 for fed and WI and it goes from there. Mostly charge by time, not forms. If you like you can drop them off and when they are complete we will make an apptmt to pick them up and go over them and you won't need to spend as much time....

or

Can we make an apptmt for you? How about March... "If I don't get in today I'm going elsewhere,,,,"

well after today! Be my guest - Totally full cannot squeeze another apptmt in until March 5th!!!

good problem to have!

• Like 2

Pikestar:

The biggest and FIRST question is:

Do you need/want more clients?

If you don't want that many more clients, then these phone calls are a nuisance. But if you do, then its a matter of your conversion rate. Converting from Phone Call to paying client.

Ten years ago, I LOVED those phone calls. I was building my practice. If they had a pulse, they were in...

And my conversion rate would run 90% percent.

But I developed the drill on the phone.

I would ask them their name.

Then, how they found out about me.. (What marketing was working, or the referral source, who to shoot later..etc...)

A little more about them.

Then we could get to talking about tax returns and price.

I could always point out that TurboTax is $35 if price was their only concern...

Five calls in one day? You must be doing something right.

Its easier to answer the phone, when you have a plan for what happens next.

Rich

• Like 2

I quote the cost for the 1040, state and the number of local return required and the say additional forms are extra and usually required. I ask a few basic questions about their situation and quote the amounts for those forms. Then tell them that is an estimate and thats the best i can do.

I got two calls yesterday from long time clients who got married and their spouse wants to prepare their own returns.and they have tax questions they want answered. As in the past I said that i would have to charge for my time and they hangup angry. amazing! How do you handle this client?

It would be nice if we could create an automated system like when you call in for anything now a days.

Bargain hunter: How much do you charge...

You: Let me transfer you to someone that can assist you..

Automated system: For English press 1 ....

They will be so annoyed they hang up.

• Like 1

I quote the cost for the 1040, state and the number of local return required and the say additional forms are extra and usually required. I ask a few basic questions about their situation and quote the amounts for those forms. Then tell them that is an estimate and thats the best i can do.

I got two calls yesterday from long time clients who got married and their spouse wants to prepare their own returns.and they have tax questions they want answered. As in the past I said that i would have to charge for my time and the hangup angry. amazing! How do you handle this client?

Let them do their own for 2013. Be ready for them to come back for 2014 and then increase their fees.

I have many of those. I term them "retread" clients. When they come back, they stay for life.

Turbo-Tax, Tax-Act, Freefile and H&R Block are all very good sources of clients for me.

• Like 1

This is some very good advise and approaches to the calls, I honestly thank everyone.

I'm rebuilding my practice since my son's medical condition has improved. After thinking it through over and over I do need to work on my phone presentation.

Appreciate the different approaches everyone has shared.

To Jack: I see some retreads on the way as well. "My sister did them for me." (After a HOH audit) :wacko:

If you're rebuilding, you probably want just about everyone. So, you want to work with them enough on the phone to book them an appointment to come in for a free consultation/fee estimate. Get them to bring you their documents and last year's tax return. Once they sit down with you and pour out their financial life to you, they really don't want to do it again with someone else; you've hooked them. RIch gave some great tips about phone presentation to get callers to walk through your door.

Also, an elevator/one-minute speech about what you do for a living to everyone, along with a couple of your business cards in their hand.

And, tell every client/prospective client that comes in that you have time for new clients. Ask for referrals.

• Like 2