ATX Community

How to complete 1099 for client that paid for work on rental

Janitor Bob

OK...my client has rental property. She paid a guy $8,800 to do repairs on that property. She has a W-9 from him (he is an LLC). So I need to ASAP send him (and IRS) a 1099-MISC so that my client can claim the $8,800 rental expense.....How do I do that? What form/worksheet do I use in ATX? I only have the individual ATX...no business forms...I am confused....help anyone?

Last year I had a client give me the info after I'd cancelled ATX, so I used this online service. It's a couple of bucks and you can print and mail the recipient copies with the service efiling, or for an extra dollar, the online service will also handle the mailing to the recipient. It's very easy to use. If I needed it again this year, the client and recipient info is still available there for me to create from:

http://www.efilemyforms.com

ETA - price is $2.99 for e-file only per 1099 for up to 50, $3.49 if they also mail to recipient. JohnH recommended this site to me last year.

And if you don't want to use the site I referenced, you can set up an Excel spreadsheet to drop the info onto a preprinted form. A little trial and error usually produces a layout in a few minutes. You can get a few preprinted blanks from Judy, from me, or from any number of others on this forum. Just ask, or send a pm.

You can download the black and white form from the IRS in order to get copy out to the vendor right away. then you have time to get the red IRS copies from one of us before 2/28.

Office Depot also sells forms sets, along with custom software.

• Like 1

And if you don't want to use the site I referenced, you can set up an Excel spreadsheet to drop the info onto a preprinted form. A little trial and error usually produces a layout in a few minutes. You can get a few preprinted blanks from Judy, from me, or from any number of others on this forum. Just ask, or send a pm.

You can download the black and white form from the IRS in order to get copy out to the vendor right away. then you have time to get the red IRS copies from one of us before 2/28.

Office Depot also sells forms sets, along with custom software.

you are like the young'ins in my office with all that fancy Excel stuff, whats wrong with just typing the info onto the red forms? [probably 80% here don't have a typewriter in their office anymore or even ever used one.

• Like 3

you are like the young'ins in my office with all that fancy Excel stuff, whats wrong with just typing the info onto the red forms? [probably 80% here don't have a typewriter in their office anymore or even ever used one.

I used my typewriter once or twice a year, so when it finally broke last year I decided not to replace it. Every time I used the shift key it raised those letters up 1/2 space. It's been years since I used 13-column paper, but I still have some of that too. :P

Trying to remember what a typewriter is.

Seems like I used to own one of those things 30 years ago. :)

Setting up the format in an excel spreadsheet has the advantage of re-using the layout for people who have one, two or three forms to be issued. Once the template is done, it can be used over and over again. Enter the payer data one time and let it repeat on the second form on the page, for example.