ATX Community

I love that you can have prior year software running along with 2013....but

Janitor Bob

With the new computer this year, I can have ATX 2011,2012, and 2013 running with multiple returns open in each....with no noticeable reduction in speed. Nice.

HOWEVER....I need to pay attention to what program I am in. Just spent 30 minutes doing the data entry on a return for a new client....before I realized it was in the 2012 program. Oh well...I just saved and then rolled it over in the 2013.

Perhaps I should call it a night.

• Like 2

I've done this before, too. So frustrating. Now in order to differentiate between them I set the zoom on my current year software to 125% and leave the zoom on the older versions at 100%. That way I know if I'm having trouble reading the print I'm in the wrong year!

You are a genius. Thank you.

Now if I can just figure out how to get people to hand me their papers and not explain, "This is my W-2 from Fred. This is my W-2 from Bob. This is my wife's Social Security W-2. This is my wife's W-2 where she worked, and I don't reckon they held out tax (otherwise known as a 1099-Misc), and this is my W-2 from Amazon where they are wanting me to pay sales tax. Don't know if we can deduct that or not."

• Like 6

Now if I can just figure out how to get people to hand me their papers and not explain, "This is my W-2 from Fred. This is my W-2 from Bob. This is my wife's Social Security W-2. This is my wife's W-2 where she worked, and I don't reckon they held out tax (otherwise known as a 1099-Misc), and this is my W-2 from Amazon where they are wanting me to pay sales tax. Don't know if we can deduct that or not."

When they start, I reach out and say: "Just give me the whole stack. I have seen hundreds of whatever document you have." It works.

• Like 1

I used ATX for several years and changed the colors for each year. We need all the help we can get when we're busy to keep us in the right place. Each year I seem to have more prior year returns, clients who bring in two or more years at once, and even a fiscal year entity or two beginning in the prior year.

• Like 1

When they want to go through all their documents with me, I put them to work going through all their documents -- but by themselves, sorting them into stacks. I have them separate all the income documents first, and then I grab that stack and tell them to separate all their deductions next, then we can see what's left. If they have a business, they usually have those separate from their personal, even if in a shopping bag or large plastic bin.

• Like 1

I usually ask them to hand me the rest of their stack so I can go through it quickly. If there's some boilerplate stuff in there (brokerage statements, etc), I quickly shove it into the paper shredder. Love to see the expression on their faces as that thing grinds away.

• Like 1