Yardley CPA

Client received Form 3921 showing:

- Date Option Granted 4/30/2008

- Date Option Exercised 4/25/2013

- Exercise Price Per Share $21.27

- FMV per share on Exercise Date $35.90

- No Of Shares Transferred 62

In addition, received letter from employer stating:

I have exercised your 4/30/08 ABC Company Corporation Stock for 62 shares of Class B Common Stock and issued stock certificate # 6819 in return for your payment of $1,318.74. Per your request I have redeemed these shares and issued you a check for $2,225.80.

The $907.06 difference between the FMV of ABC Company at the time you acquired it and its cost will be included as ordinary income on your 2013 Form W-2.

Based on this information, I assume, since the $907 is included in the employee's W-2, that the exercise should be shown on Schedule D/8949 as Proceeds of $2,226 and Cost Basis of $2,226, showing no gain or loss? Is that correct?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, these are reported on a separate W2 with accompanying explanation paperwork. I haven't done one of these for a while, but I don't believe you have to do anything with the Sch D because they are reported as ordinary income. (Something like that) Someone who has done one of these recently can jump in here.

• Like 1

Yes, Yardley. His W-2 ordinary income is part of his cost basis. A "same day" or close to it sale of his shares would result in zero gain/loss, or a very small loss due to broker or transfer fees, if charged. Do report on 8949/D even if your client didn't bring you a 1099-B (use "C" if no 1099).

• Like 2

Box 14. Code V may be nonqualified stock options. I think his OCOMP is probably Option Compensation or Other Compensation, and the $ amount is right for the scenario described. Does this transaction flow the way you expect it to, Yardley, in your software?

I use ATX, Lion. I don't have any ability to enter Stock Incentive info in box 14 of ATX's W2 input form (unless I am missing something or just don't see the entry?)

Based on the letter the client received, it seems like the $907 is included in his Federal and State wages on the W2 form. I planned on completing Schedule D/8949 to show:

Date Acquired: 4/30/2008 (date option was granted)

Date Sold: 4/25/2013 (date option was exercised)

Proceeds: $2,226

Cost Basis: $2,226

Thoughts, Lion?

Box 14 is information only. If his employer included info there, great. If not, you should not enter anything onto a W-2 that is not there. (Don't know why your software doesn't let you enter what's in Box 14, though. Suggest an enhancement to them for next year.)

Didn't he acquire the stocks upon exercise? 04/25/2013

Date Sold is the date he redeemed them according to the letter you quoted, but you'll have to look to that or other information from your client for the date. It sounds very much like a same day sale, or a date close to 04/25/2013.

His Cost Basis is $2,226

And, his Proceeds sound like $2,226 unless there were any commissions or fees taken out.

• Like 1

I use ATX, Lion. I don't have any ability to enter Stock Incentive info in box 14 of ATX's W2 input form (unless I am missing something or just don't see the entry?)

Based on the letter the client received, it seems like the $907 is included in his Federal and State wages on the W2 form. I planned on completing Schedule D/8949 to show:

Date Acquired: 4/30/2008 (date option was granted)

Date Sold: 4/25/2013 (date option was exercised)

Proceeds: $2,226

Cost Basis: $2,226

Thoughts, Lion?

You can enter Box 14 info in ATX by choosing Not on list. I always enter everything that is on the W2. It doesn't flow anywhere, but the IRS is seeing the same W2 that you are seeing. As for the entries on D/8949, sounds fine to me.

Based on this information:

Client received Form 3921 showing:

- Date Option Granted 4/30/2008

- Date Option Exercised 4/25/2013

- Exercise Price Per Share $21.27

- FMV per share on Exercise Date $35.90

- No Of Shares Transferred 62

No 1099 B was received.

Would the Purchase date be 4/30/2008? I know the Sale date is 4/25/2013.

You would use the exercise date of 4/25/13 as the date of purchase. The grant date is the company giving the employee the chance to purchase the shares during a specified time and at a discounted price. The exercise date is the date that your client actually did make the purchase and acquired the shares.

• Like 1