ATX Community

Health Ins - Self Employed

Crank

Oops spoke without thinking again, not Sch C but line 29
This excerpt from pub 502, p21 seems to indicate they arent deductible for sole props when the policy is not in the name of the business.
If you were self-employed and had a net profit for the year, you may be able to deduct, as an adjustment to income, amounts paid for medical and qualified long-term care insurance on behalf of yourself, your spouse, your dependents, and your children who were under age 27 at the end of 2013. For this purpose, you were self-employed if you were a general partner (or a limited partner receiving guaranteed payments) or you received wages from an S corporation in which you were more than a 2% shareholder. The insurance plan must be established under your trade or business and the deduction cannot be more than your earned income from that trade or business.

This excerpt from pub 502, p21 seems to indicate they arent deductible on Sch C for sole props when the policy is not in the name of the business.
If you were self-employed and had a net profit for the year, you may be able to deduct, as an adjustment to income, amounts paid for medical and qualified long-term care insurance on behalf of yourself, your spouse, your dependents, and your children who were under age 27 at the end of 2013. For this purpose, you were self-employed if you were a general partner (or a limited partner receiving guaranteed payments) or you received wages from an S corporation in which you were more than a 2% shareholder. The insurance plan must be established under your trade or business and the deduction cannot be more than your earned income from that trade or business.

Go for it then.

I read this....

For this purpose, you were self-employed if you were a general partner (or a limited partner receiving guaranteed payments) or you received wages from an S corporation in which you were more than a 2% shareholder.

What partnership, or corp is the client a shareholder in??

Pays to read carefully.....

Go for it then.

I read this....

For this purpose, you were self-employed if you were a general partner (or a limited partner receiving guaranteed payments) or you received wages from an S corporation in which you were more than a 2% shareholder.

What partnership, or corp is the client a shareholder in??

Pays to read carefully.....

Yes, it does pay to read carefully That is why I asked. I have a client who insists it is deductible for his sole prop and the insurance is in his name. His argument is that since he is a sole prop his name IS the business name. But he is not an S corp. so I only ever included it on his Sch A.

I just wanted to know what others think about this because I may have to let him go as he is adamant that it can be deducted on the 1040 line 29 and I believe it is a sch A deduction.

Don’t Miss the Health Insurance Deduction if You’re Self-Employed

IRS Tax Tip 2013-43, March 28, 2013

If you are self-employed, the IRS wants you to know about a tax deduction generally available to people who are self-employed.

The deduction is for medical, dental or long-term care insurance premiums that self-employed people often pay for themselves, their spouse and their dependents. The insurance can also cover your child who was under age 27 at the end of 2012, even if the child was not your dependent.

You may be able to take this deduction if one of the following applies to you:

• You had a net profit from self-employment. You would report this on a Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business, Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit From Business, or Schedule F, Profit or Loss From Farming.

• You had self-employment earnings as a partner reported to you on Schedule K-1 (Form 1065), Partner's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc.

• You used an optional method to figure your net earnings from self-employment on Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax.

• You were paid wages reported on Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, as a shareholder who owns more than two percent of the outstanding stock of an S corporation.

There are also some rules that apply to how the insurance plan is established. Follow these guidelines to make sure the plan qualifies:

• If you’re self-employed and file Schedule C, C-EZ, or F, the policy can be in your name or in your business’ name.

• If you’re a partner, the policy can be in your name or the partnership’s name and either of you can pay the premiums. If the policy is in your name and you pay the premiums, the partnership must reimburse you and include the premiums as income on your Schedule K-1.

• If you’re an S corporation shareholder, the policy can be in your name or the S corporation’s name and either of you can pay the premiums. If the policy is in your name and you pay the premiums, the S corporation must reimburse you and include the premiums as wage income on your Form W-2.

For more information, see Publication 535, Business Expenses. It’s available at IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Additional IRS Resources:

Subscribe to IRS Tax Tips

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 25-Nov-2013
  • Like 4

Pub 535 - Page 18 - . . . Am I totally misreading the question?
Self­Employed Health
Insurance Deduction
You may be able to deduct premiums paid for
medical and dental insurance and qualified
long­term care insurance for yourself, your
spouse, and your dependents. The insurance
can also cover your child who was under age
27 at the end of 2013, even if the child was not
your dependent. A child includes your son,
daughter, stepchild, adopted child, or foster
child. A foster child is any child placed with you
by an authorized placement agency or by judg­
ment, decree, or other order of any court of
competent jurisdiction.
One of the following statements must be
true.
You were self­employed and had a net
profit for the year reported on Schedule C
(Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Busi­
ness; Schedule C­EZ (Form 1040), Net
Profit From Business; or Schedule F (Form
1040), Profit or Loss From Farming.
You were a partner with net earnings from
self­employment for the year reported on
Schedule K­1 (Form 1065), Partner's
Page 18 of 50 Fileid: … tions/P535/2013/A/XML/Cycle07/source 12:15 ­ 13­Mar­2014
The type and rule above prints on all proofs including departmental reproduction proofs. MUST be removed before printing.
Page 18 Chapter 6 InsuranceShare of Income, Deductions, Credits,
etc., box 14, code A.
You used one of the optional methods to
figure your net earnings from self­employ­
ment on Schedule SE.
You received wages in 2013 from an S cor­
poration in which you were a
more­than­2% shareholder. Health insur­
ance premiums paid or reimbursed by the
S corporation are shown as wages on
Form W­2, Wage and Tax Statement.
The insurance plan must be established, or
considered to be established as discussed in
the following bullets, under your business.
For self­employed individuals filing a
Schedule C, C­EZ, or F, a policy can be ei­
ther in the name of the business or in the
name of the individual.
For partners, a policy can be either in the
name of the partnership or in the name of
the partner. You can either pay the premi­
ums yourself or your partnership can pay
them and report the premium amounts on
Schedule K­1 (Form 1065) as guaranteed
payments to be included in your gross in­
come. However, if the policy is in your
name and you pay the premiums yourself,
the partnership must reimburse you and
report the premium amounts on Sched­
ule K­1 (Form 1065) as guaranteed pay­
ments to be included in your gross income.
Otherwise, the insurance plan will not be
considered to be established under your
business.
For more­than­2% shareholders, a policy
can be either in the name of the S corpora­
tion or in the name of the shareholder. You
can either pay the premiums yourself or
your S corporation can pay them and re­
port the premium amounts on Form W­2 as
wages to be included in your gross in­
come. However, if the policy is in your
name and you pay the premiums yourself,
the S corporation must reimburse you and
report the premium amounts on Form W­2
as wages to be included in your gross in­
come. Otherwise, the insurance plan will
not be considered to be established under
your business.
Medicare premiums you voluntarily pay to
obtain insurance in your name that is similar to
qualifying private health insurance can be used
to figure the deduction. If you previously filed re­
turns without using Medicare premiums to fig­
ure the deduction, you can file timely amended
returns to refigure the deduction. For more in­
formation, see Form 1040X, Amended U.S. In­
dividual Income Tax Return.
Amounts paid for health insurance coverage
from retirement plan distributions that were non­
taxable because you are a retired public safety
officer cannot be used to figure the deduction.
Take the deduction on Form 1040, line 29

Yes, it does pay to read carefully That is why I asked. I have a client who insists it is deductible for his sole prop and the insurance is in his name. His argument is that since he is a sole prop his name IS the business name. But he is not an S corp. so I only ever included it on his Sch A.

I just wanted to know what others think about this because I may have to let him go as he is adamant that it can be deducted on the 1040 line 29 and I believe it is a sch A deduction.

I think he is right on this one. As a Sch C business, his name is the business name, as in Joe Doe, dba Joe's Repair shop. Look at the top line of the Sch C, what's there is all that has to be on the insurance.

Remember that year, 2010?, when we also deducted health insurance on Sch SE? I hate it when something is for one year. Or a couple of years, like adding real estate tax to the standard deduction. I still have people thinking they are deducting real estate tax somewhere.

• Like 1