New computer

dianakcpa

Dell XPS 8700

Win7 Pro = highly recommend

i7 = good

16GB = more then enough RAM

Will be a good computer for 4-5 years

Get the 250GB msata SSD drive with a 1TB hardrive

look for discounts or computers that are already built and save some money.

Stick with WIN 7PRO 64 bit.

16GB or more RAM, the highest speed the motherboard will use.

I do NOT care for your choice of supplier.

256GB SSD with a 2TB second hard drive.

I don't think Dell will let you order a custom configuration without selling you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

I have a source if you are interested. Message me. The last 5 computers I have purchased have been from them.

It's time to go W8 when buying a new system. W7 is the next XP.

Disagree totally. WIN8 is the latest VISTA. It is my skip OS. Even Microsoft backed off making WIN8 the required OS for new computers.

WIN9 developers are scrapping the entire WIN8 profile with those stupid tiles, etc. Going back to the Windows format everyone knows.

• Like 3

Didn't some folks have a problem running ATX2013 in Win8?

Yes. I have not been a fan of WIN8 since I demo tested it immediately after it was released. I spent 5 minutes on a laptop with WIN8 and made my statement about it being the latest "Vista."

History has borne me out on my observation and decision.

• Like 1

Yes. I have not been a fan of WIN8 since I demo tested it immediately after it was released. I spent 5 minutes on a laptop with WIN8 and made my statement about it being the latest "Vista."

History has borne me out on my observation and decision.

Windows operating systems are like Star Trek movies -- every other one it not worth the time. Skip W8.

• Like 5

I like the tiles. I've seen desktops full of icons, like looking for a needle in a haystack. Did not have a problem with ATX on my laptop. Win 8.1 did some modifications. Win 8.1 has been updated and they didn't even give it a name. Not sure when Win9 will be out or if they'll even call it Win9. Win8 has been out a year and a half. 2020 is only 5 and a half years away. Take Jack's advice: buy the latest. Just ribbing you Jack. We just disagree on this one.

I don't think the comparison to Vista is totally fair--Windows 8 boots noticeably faster than Windows 7 from an SSD. Overall system stability is no different than Windows 7. Windows 8 performs better than Windows 7 on the same hardware, using less RAM and CPU. Judging by ATX's system requirements, the less your OS uses, the better.

The start screen will probably bother people who (initially?) hated the Ribbon UI in MS Office 2007+ but I don't have any issues with it. If you still hate the Ribbon, I suggest you never upgrade Windows ever again. It's all over the place in Windows 8.

I have heard rumors that Microsoft will give us back an option to enable the old start menu in Windows 9, but I haven't seen anything directly from Microsoft about it, so until then it's just a rumor. Metro/Modern UI probably isn't going anywhere. With tablet/mobile device sales eating away at the PC market, it's not surprising that they'll continue to shoot for a unified OS experience across platforms.

Windows 8.1 smoothed out a lot of rough edges that were left in 8, and I think Windows 9 will likely continue to refine the interface. If you're waiting for Microsoft to reverse course entirely, I think you're going to be disappointed.

• Like 3

I am going to wait one more tax season, then I will buy a new computer and I will get the latest OS. I remember when I was using Windows 2000 and XP came on board. Both were excellent OSs but I was so used to Windows 2000 that I didn't want XP on my computers. After trying XP, I was happy. There will be always a learning curve on a new OS and I will have to accept it, but I will give ATX a chance to debug its product for the new OS.