ATX Community

Get Ready For “The Worst Tax Season In 30 Years”

ILLMAS

The IRS speakers told us that at the seminars.

You are absolutely correct.  This information has been available, as well as training to become proficient with the new laws for over 18 months.  I am dismayed and a bit concerned at the lackadaisical attitude about learning this that seems to be the normal amongst the preparer community. 

The laws and necessary steps to incorporate them are convoluted, confusing, sometimes contradictory and very extensive.  Learning will not be a "webinar or two and I will have it."  I have had 4 more hours directly concerning the ACA in the past three weeks.  Two different seminars.  At each one I learned even more things that all my previous training had not provided. 

This will truly be the "Worst Tax Season in 30 Years" for those who are going in unprepared.  I believe there will need to be a separate forum for ACA related questions as I predict a massive amount of them to be asked on this site.

Rant Over.

• Like 4

An ACA forum might be in order. This year will be the worst so i have been taking some classes and seminars.

I wonder how hard it will be to get the information from our clients. Also, not many people will be able to file before Jan 31st. So your income influx will be delayed this year if you had clients in January.

One of the problems mentioned in an overview-type seminar I took recently that will be a problem of missing information is that people may know that they are exempt, or think they are, but they will not have obtained the exemption number from the marketplace for 2014. That number is required entry on the form 8965.

• Like 1

Anyone else think an ACA forum may be necessary, much like the software issues forum we had before?  Maybe wait and see if the ACA questions start piling up?

It might be wise to set it up now in anticipation of the numerous questions to come rather than to wait and move them later. If there isn't much in the way of activity, it could always be merged back in.

• Like 1

I think we need it now to have post quesstions and solutions. I am ready to put some questions now and I know some people have the answers.

I like to give credit to whomever deserves credit. If you want to get your CPE credits without learning a lot, go to www.apluscpe.com and the credits are not expensive BUT there is  one course called "Affordable Care Act in the Real World" which is EXCELLENT and you should buy it. This course is a video course and it is for Tax Preparers.  They have about 3 other courses regarding ACA but this one is the best and I recommend it.

• Like 3

After reading it a second time, it is funny.... what I meant was that if you are behind in getting your credits, that website will be your best friend because it is inexpensive and the exams are not tricky which can be passed without studying the material. About 3 years ago I went to my country and on December 30 and Dec 31st, I passed several courses and I was happy that I could do that. BUT that one course about ACA in the real world is very informative and they pull out form 1040 and the new forms.

• Like 4

That's correct, the "Affordable Care Act in the Real World" CPE training gives you a couple of examples of people that purchased health insurance through the market place, employer provided and no health insurance (how to calculate the penalty) or how to calculate premium assistance credit PAC.  Recommended if you already have the theory but want some hands on training.

MAS

• Like 1