ATX Community

CP2000 - taxpayer responds before me

GraceNY

Taxpayer gets a CP2000.  Sends a response to IRS just under the 30 day deadline.  Then gets referred to me. (Damn, I would have requested an extension).

Has received the computer generated "Thank you for your letter..blah, blah, blah.  Looks like it has been assigned to someone.

I have a formal response prepared that addresses their proposed changes and includes all the relevant documentation along with a POA. 

My Questions:  Should I just send it in to the address on the CP2000 OR should I send it with the "Thank you for your letter..." so they can reference who it might have been assigned to?   

My concerns are twofold:  (1)  I don't want this getting mixed up as things often do with multiple responses and (2)  Although the taxpayer responded within the 30 day request, he disagreed with items that he should not have (i.e.  unreported stock sales) and sent a half dozen extraneous papers that really don't account for anything.  More specifically, stock options that vested with the sale of shares to cover taxes.  And, of course taxpayer thinks all taxes were paid.  I could use some wording.  Don't want to come across as saying "sorry, but taxpayer did not address your proposed changes correctly nor send you adequate information."  That won't reflect well. 

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

Grace

I had this exact situation last year and I faxed my response to the 1st CP2000 telling them to ignore the taxpayer's response. No problems encountered and it got resolved more quickly.

Good to know. I hate it when people who made a mess try to fix it. Bet IRS has seen a few, too.

• Like 1

Speaking of POA's - What is the quickest way now to get them in?  I used to use E-services but that isn't an option any longer. 

A new client has a huge mess going back to 2009 with ex-spouse.  Since her divorce she has changed her name so has notices in both married and unmarried names.  I had her sign with both names for all years but am not sure which to actually use.

Thanks for the reminder of fax without needed a particular notice.  I just am not sure about sending both married and unmarried names.  Guess it couldn't hurt as she has received notices for all years in both names.

Yeah, overkill is underrated. I'd send both.

Speaking of last names, I have a couple who've been married 50 years. We discovered thru e-file that IRS still had her maiden name, and SSA had her married name. I could not believe it. Husband got it straightened out spring of 2014. Well, we think. Gonna find out when I submit the 2014 e-file. I told them I didn't think they were even married, and all this time they have been faking on all of us. They got a kick outta that.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 3

Yeah, overkill is underrated. I'd send both.

Speaking of last names, I have a couple who've been married 50 years. We discovered thru e-file that IRS still had her maiden name, and SSA had her married name. I could not believe it. Husband got it straightened out spring of 2014. Well, we think. Gonna find out when I submit the 2014 e-file. I told them I didn't think they were even married, and all this time they have been faking on all of us. They got a kick outta that.

LOL....I have a couple...actually parents of a client.  The clients is in her thirties...so the parents have been married a long time.

They have a very long Polish last name.

The first time I e-filed...and it was rejected because of the wife's name. At that time you could call e-file services and "discuss".  I was assuming there was a spelling issue.  The rep said the name wasn't even close.

So...I called the client...and explained the issue.  Since she was married 30+ years....and was very traditional....I figured maybe, at most there was a hyphen there somewhere.  So, I asked her the maiden name.  It was Chinese (she didn't look Asian at all).  It seems she never changed her name with social security.  She gets W-2s under the married name...but e-files under the maiden name.  I have told her...year after year...to go to social security and clear it up...because of tentative issues.

• Like 2

I had this exact situation last year and I faxed my response to the 1st CP2000 telling them to ignore the taxpayer's response. No problems encountered and it got resolved more quickly.

I agree.

You can state that your client wishes to retract his written response and  has requested that you reply on his behalf instead.

Edited by DANRVAN

Have that same situation right now.

I will pay the penalty and interest when *I* make the mistake, but  *I* will deal with the IRS to resolve it.  if *YOU* want to resolve it, then *YOU* get to pay the penalty when you blow it up with the IRS.

And that is what *I* told the client yesterday, and why my engagement letter states "You will bring me all coorespondence from the IRS or other taxing authorities before trying to respond" or *I* am not responsible for the penalties.

I have a 99% abatement rate.  Please do not try to mess with that.....

Rich

• Like 4

LOL....I have a couple...actually parents of a client.  The clients is in her thirties...so the parents have been married a long time.

They have a very long Polish last name.

The first time I e-filed...and it was rejected because of the wife's name. At that time you could call e-file services and "discuss".  I was assuming there was a spelling issue.  The rep said the name wasn't even close.

So...I called the client...and explained the issue.  Since she was married 30+ years....and was very traditional....I figured maybe, at most there was a hyphen there somewhere.  So, I asked her the maiden name.  It was Chinese (she didn't look Asian at all).  It seems she never changed her name with social security.  She gets W-2s under the married name...but e-files under the maiden name.  I have told her...year after year...to go to social security and clear it up...because of tentative issues.

History repeats itself.  I have a client from Thailand, married to a man with a long Polish name.  She uses her Thai name hyphenated to his Polish name.  I remember way back when I had to get that to fit on the line and be accepted by e-file.  NOTE:  This is not a slur on Polish names as I am half Polish myself; and consider that my better half. 

• Like 2

If more than a week or two had passed since the client submitted the response, I would wait until the AUR unit replied.

But in the meantime the IRS is wading through a pile of incorrect information sent in by the taxpayer.

My experience has been the same as JMDAVIS; get the correct information sent in and a request to retract the taxpayers' initial response.

• Like 1