ATX Community

NT - My kids figured out how to cure auto emissions

BulldogTom

I live very close to the Tesla plant in Fremont CA.  With both of my kids studying engineering, we frequently talk about Tesla and the advantages and disadvantages of electric vehicles and what advances are needed in technology to make the vehicles mainstream in the US.  There is always press releases and news about what Elon Musk is up to in our local news.

So we are watching Nascar this weekend when we started talking about how it would look if there was an electric vehicle Nascar race?

In other words, challenge a bunch of rednecks figure out how to make them suckers go faster and farther with faster charging of the batteries and I think they would blow away the wine sipping Silicon Valley nerds who are trying to make this happen.  That is all Nascar is about - going farther and faster than the guy next to you.

If you think about it, it opens up a lot of possibilities.  Dale Jr doing donuts in front of the grandstands at Daytona after winning in his Tesla model S and there is no sound coming from the engine!!!!!!!

They could get Tesla to sponsor a circuit and call it the Tesla cup.  Nissan Leafs competing with Chevy Sparks to see which one can get to 200mph on the backstretch?

Nascar as the leader in the environmental movement?  Tree huggers filling up the stands at Sonoma Raceway every year?

Just some random thoughts for a slow Wednesday morning.....

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 5

I don't know anythang about rednecks, but I was wondering if I was the only one with a quiet office today. I love it. Got my stack here of patient people's stuff and peace and quiet. So of course, I am using my time wisely and chatting it up with you guys.

• Like 7

I live very close to the Tesla plant in Fremont CA.  With both of my kids studying engineering, we frequently talk about Tesla and the advantages and disadvantages of electric vehicles and what advances are needed in technology to make the vehicles mainstream in the US.  There is always press releases and news about what Elon Musk is up to in our local news.

So we are watching Nascar this weekend when we started talking about how it would look if there was an electric vehicle Nascar race?

In other words, challenge a bunch of rednecks figure out how to make them suckers go faster and farther with faster charging of the batteries and I think they would blow away the wine sipping Silicon Valley nerds who are trying to make this happen.  That is all Nascar is about - going farther and faster than the guy next to you.

If you think about it, it opens up a lot of possibilities.  Dale Jr doing donuts in front of the grandstands at Daytona after winning in his Tesla model S and there is no sound coming from the engine!!!!!!!

They could get Tesla to sponsor a circuit and call it the Tesla cup.  Nissan Leafs competing with Chevy Sparks to see which one can get to 200mph on the backstretch?

Nascar as the leader in the environmental movement?  Tree huggers filling up the stands at Sonoma Raceway every year?

Tom

Newark, CA

All driving their gas powered cars to the track...

• Like 1

I spent my morning texting and talking to my son who was sitting in airports on his way back from spring break in Panama City Beach. He started in at 5:30 and kept it up so that I only got an hour of sleep until I went and picked him up at the airport so that he could hightail it down to KS to see his gf. I'm not complaining, just really tired. My husband says I'm nuts and should tell him to leave me alone, but he's almost 21 and it won't be long until he won't bother with good old Mom as much. I think that life is too short to put everything else in front of family. 

• Like 5

Sounds like a great idea, Tom!  As the proud owner of a 2006 Prius with over 150,000 miles, an all electric might be my next step.  And seeing it on the Nascar circuit might just push me over the edge.:)

QUIET!!!!???????  Not in my office.  It has been just another tax season day.  Started out with my data entry person walking in the door this morning all rattled and asked if I saw what just happened.  I said no and she went on to explain that she lost control of her vehicle turning into our parking lot.  Somewhat perplexed, we were talking when a car went by the office going west (which is somewhat uphill) at a very slow rate.  I looked down the hill and there was a car half way up the hill in the ditch and cross ways in the east bound lane.  Within just a very few seconds, the rain had turned to ice on the road.  When the dust settled, we had three vehicle in the ditches, a couple of fender benders, my wife (who always wants to help) falling, the first policeman that arrived was fish tailing all the way down the hill, a pickup truck sliding into the back of the ambulance - it turned incredibly slippery inside of just a couple minutes.  I had arrived at the office not more than five minutes before without incident.  My wife had made her way down to the first accident and fell crossing the road.  She did get to the other side.  When she had made her way back up our way, she called me with her cell to come out and help her across the road.  She says she figured out how the chicken crossed the road. It called the farmer.

And the rest of the day was not quiet either.  Returns are still coming in at a good pace - with six coming in by 4:30.

• Like 4

Where were your sons when the town of Cicero, IL built the Chicago Motor Speedway at cost of $70M right between the city boundaries of Chicago and Cicero.  At that time I lived about 4-5 miles away from the track and we could hear the noise, the speedway received so many complaints it was closed within 4 years and moved to Joliet IL

Edited by ILLMAS
  • Like 1

WITAXLADY - the short answer is no.  The expounded answer is that our cutoff for "guaranteed completion during tax season" was last Friday.  Everything coming in now will be extended.  At last count, I have 135 to do that were in by last Friday and have not yet been started.  We will get those done.  We pre-schedule our tax return clients at assigning them a drop off date.  Those drop off dates ended last Friday and it has been our practice to extend anyone coming in after that time.  The fact that I have 135 in house to start tells me that most of them are probably in.  We will continue to see probably 5 per day come in the rest of this week and 10 Monday of next week and then not much for the rest of next week.  And then probably 10 - 12 the day after Easter and then it will drop to 2 to 3 per day for the rest of that week.

Not complaining at all but it does seem like this year is busier than normal and clients are later than normal. Every time I think I am gaining of the pile, more comes in. Some of these will not get completed and one I am picking up tomorrow will hit the extension list. Nothing like rfassett but still steady for me.

• Like 3

Sounds like a great idea, Tom!  As the proud owner of a 2006 Prius with over 150,000 miles, an all electric might be my next step.  And seeing it on the Nascar circuit might just push me over the edge. :)

QUIET!!!!???????  Not in my office.  It has been just another tax season day.  Started out with my data entry person walking in the door this morning all rattled and asked if I saw what just happened.  I said no and she went on to explain that she lost control of her vehicle turning into our parking lot.  Somewhat perplexed, we were talking when a car went by the office going west (which is somewhat uphill) at a very slow rate.  I looked down the hill and there was a car half way up the hill in the ditch and cross ways in the east bound lane.  Within just a very few seconds, the rain had turned to ice on the road.  When the dust settled, we had three vehicle in the ditches, a couple of fender benders, my wife (who always wants to help) falling, the first policeman that arrived was fish tailing all the way down the hill, a pickup truck sliding into the back of the ambulance - it turned incredibly slippery inside of just a couple minutes.  I had arrived at the office not more than five minutes before without incident.  My wife had made her way down to the first accident and fell crossing the road.  She did get to the other side.  When she had made her way back up our way, she called me with her cell to come out and help her across the road.  She says she figured out how the chicken crossed the road. It called the farmer.

And the rest of the day was not quiet either.  Returns are still coming in at a good pace - with six coming in by 4:30.

Oh my gosh, this one should be labeled "Laugh of the Day"  !!!!

• Like 2