ATX Community

Charitable miles

Jack from Ohio

I need some input from all the learned people on this board.  Tell me if I am right or wrong.

Clients, ages 45 & 42 with 2 teenage kids, wants to deduct as charitable mileage, their trips to baseball, soccer and basketball practice for their school teams.  Their children are on the teams.  She has documented close to 4,000 miles in 2014.  Mileage to all practices, home and away games.

My conclusion from research...  Charitable miles can be deducted if you are driving to take part in an charitable event for a charitable organization.  I do not consider the school sports games to be charitable events, therefore no charitable deduction for the mileage.

Opinions? 

• Like 1

No, not if a family member is a participant.  As was mentioned, a volunteer coach would be a possibility.  But, driving to watch your kids play, get them to practice, etc., is a personal activity just like driving them to play dates or to visit relatives.  Clients sure get pushy this time of year!

• Like 4

Charitable mileage is deductible only when it is a necessary part of giving service to a qualifying charitable organization. They were not rendering a service to or on behalf of the organization--their attendance was only so their child could participate in an activity sponsored by a charitable org. Therefore, no deduction.

Give 'em credit for taking a 'creative' approach though!

• Like 2

I do like their creativity. The parents take turns bringing refreshments to my grandson's church league games. Next time my daugther calls to ask me to pick up soft drinks and crackers when it's their turn, I think I'll save the receipt and log the mileage. :)

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 2