ATX Community

Trying to go "paperless"

TAG

I love the TWAIN-compatible Kodak ScanMate i1120 but the drivers were never updated to work with Windows 7.  HOWEVER -- it runs just fine from Adobe, and probably from other software.  All you lose is the quick-start buttons and those are not that useful if all your scans are going to different places.

The Fuji ScanSnap S1500 is also good but I think the more-vertical paper path of the Kodak is less susceptible to jams. 

• Like 1

Odd man out again.  We have a Canon Image Runner (which is a stand alone machine) that functions as a scanner, printer, and copier.  It is tied into the network so anyone can access it.  It is the workhorse of the Canon family.  We have had it for more years than I care to count - but we keep it maintained by the best Canon technician in a multi-county area and it just keeps on working.  We do a ton of scanning, copying and printing on that machine.

And from your topic title, I would simply mention that we have never achieved "paperless" status and we have been scanning everything we can since 2006.  "Less paper", but not paper less.

• Like 3

Odd man out again.  We have a Canon Image Runner (which is a stand alone machine) that functions as a scanner, printer, and copier.  It is tied into the network so anyone can access it.  It is the workhorse of the Canon family.  We have had it for more years than I care to count - but we keep it maintained by the best Canon technician in a multi-county area and it just keeps on working.  We do a ton of scanning, copying and printing on that machine.

And from your topic title, I would simply mention that we have never achieved "paperless" status and we have been scanning everything we can since 2006.  "Less paper", but not paper less.

​I just googled that one and WOW is it a big honking machine!  I sure don't have room for something like that.  Both of my "real" scanners (not counting my multi-function machine that scans just a little faster than I can copy-by-hand but is useful for the rare page or two) are small enough to sit on the desktop and behave themselves by staying out of the way.

• Like 1

Everyone in my office has a small scanner at their computer. In addition to being convenient for the user, it gives us a ton of redundancy if a scanner fails. Before all my employees had scanners they had to interrupt another employee whenever they needed something scanned of faxed. We scan and print to Windows Fax to send faxes which is a huge improvement over using a fax machine.

• Like 1

Yes,

I have scanner/printer/copiers at each employee desk.

Big ones as well. I *hate* small toner cartridges/inkers. 

But I am with Ron.  It is "less paper" not "paperless"  It depends on your particular practice, and how you like to work. 

Everything for my 1040's is scanned, but the corporate work has much more paper, and therefore, more in the file cabinet.   

I have found that when going "paperless" the real issue isn't a scanner, its the process of managing the data during and afterwards.

There are commercial practice and data management software, or something you use of your own design.

I just have a directory with each of my clients listed, and I create the PDF of the return out of ATX and attach the back up scans to that info in the clients directory.

Rich

Rich,

We went paperless with payroll returns two years ago and with business workpapers one year ago. It's been great. We scan client records like bank statements and print all QuickBooks reports, spreadsheets, etc. to a pdf. Our client files are becoming more empty every year.

Joe

• Like 1

while I am almost totally paperless, for me its more for storage than working files.  I pdf everything but keep the paper for the 3 open years then shred.  as an old timer I just like paper for working.  My offsite storage is almost empty but my current files are nice and full.  Every 10/15 they get purged of the oldest year.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...