ATX Community

IRS (fill-in the blank $#$@!!)

ILLMAS

IRS cashes check payable to the Illinois Department of Revenue, how does this happen?

Short-story:  TP mixed up mailing envelopes and sent the IRS payment to the state of IL, the state payment to the IRS.  The state called the TP to let them know of the error, they even mailed out the checks to the IRS, but the IRS cashed the IL checks.

Actually, the taxing bodies do have the authority to do this. I've had several cases where the client has sent the payments to the wrong agency. The last time it happened, the IRS deposited the IL check and sent a bill for the remainder and Illinois sent a refund of the overpaid amount. IRS can even adjust a check down in amount if it is made out for too much. I found the authority in the regs several years ago.

• Like 3

Yeah, I've had this happen with MD a couple of times and MD wouldn't even refund the excess since we didn't claim it on the tax return. I had some heated letters back and forth with the Comptroller of MD's office and I think they might be playing nice now, but I encourage all my clients to make online payments now.

Ah, but where is the authority for the BANKS to give money to an entity NOT named on the check?  If this is so, they have written themselves authority to steal at will.  It needs to be repealed/overturned/stopped.  If someone sends a check to the wrong agency, they'll just be stuck with late payment penalties and interest.  

• Like 2

I had a client who sent both his federal and state balance dues to the state (despite the fact that I had the payment instructions and payment vouchers clipped to separate envelopes. He "lost" them and hand wrote his own.)  The state cashed both checks and sent him a refund, and the IRS of course sent him a bill.  It was all my fault until he got his bank statement and realized what he did.  I'm with Catherine.  Why did the bank pay a check to the wrong payee?  That's what happens when checks are machine read--only record the numbers I guess.  Now if I tried to deposit a check made out to Catherine I'd probably be arrested.

• Like 5

I gave a check to my Grandkids last night because we are making a joint land purchase.  He said, "I can deposit this to my account right from my phone!"  WHAT???????????  That makes me really nervous.

Same as depositing from your computer; take a picture and send it in.  HOWEVER -- most phones do NOT have the security on a desktop so I don't recommend this practice.

• Like 1