ATX Community

EDUCATION

TAXMAN

I have a TP who makes a good # in his sch c business in legal(not lawyer style work).

However TP decided in 2011 to also go into the Herbal Medicine business. Opened doors in 2011 made some $ and had some start up expenses which he amortized. Had a loss in 2011. In 2012 TP didn't sell as much but still had all the connected exp ie rents, phones, advert, business license, inventory tax etc. TP also bought Extractors and distillers for this business.

My real question is what do I do with education and training expenses incurred in 2012 in this field of Herbal Medicines?

BTW TP has not filed 2012. In looking ahead it appears TP shut this operation down in 2013 due to lack of sales.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

30 minutes ago, jmdaviscpa said:

They didn't ask about mileage, at all.

This continues to be the most amazing thing to me.  I didn't take a guy in the summer because he drove 1135 miles a week to earn $800.  Bet he got away with it, too.  Most abused "expense" in the history of the universe.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jmdaviscpa said:

I had a Sch C audit this year and the IRS wanted travel and meals from page 1 of Sch C, and everything under Other on page 2. Made me think of ways to fit expenses on page 1 of the return. :) The kicker? They didn't ask about mileage, at all.

Trivia note - the details that you list under "Other Expenses" on page 2 do NOT get transmitted to the IRS as part of the E-file.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Don in Upstate NY said:

Trivia note - the details that you list under "Other Expenses" on page 2 do NOT get transmitted to the IRS as part of the E-file.

Wow, that's insane. No wonder they want to audit it.

Jeez, I just went back and looked at the original audit letter and they HAD ask for all Sch C expenses but I didn't notice that check mark. We sent then NOTHING for from page expenses except travel and meals and they didn't say a word. They must be so swamped right now that they triage audit responses and if their gut tells them they can't get any money, they just close the audit. Wow.

" Trivia note - the details that you list under "Other Expenses" on page 2 do NOT get transmitted to the IRS as part of the E-file "

The details are not transmitted, but the Total of Other Expenses is.  If it is large enough, it could trigger an audit.

The expenses that do get individually transmitted are: Car, Depreciation, Insurance (not health), Legal/prof., Repairs, Travel, Meal, and Wages..