ATX Community

Server retry issue STILL plaguing us.

Jack from Ohio

I am with Gail on this and other issues with ATX, I made the switch for 2012.  My cost is $1000 more than ATX and I have their unlimited professional edition.  Sure there are things I liked a lot better with ATX but there are things I like better with proseries.  For one, the program works, no restarts, missing forms, no missing assets, no hung efiles, the technology just works.

My discount is locked for 5 years but every year I don't reorder till around now because I am waiting to see the comments on this board about the program.  I certainly don't want to pay $5000 once my discount expires and will have to then go pay-per for many states that I now have full access to but we make our money during 3 months and every phone call to CS is one less return that gets out that day. [proseries CS knows taxes and how one form flows to another or they transfer you right away, no games one you get a live person]. 

Jack, as my wife says "money talks and BS walks"  as long as their renewal numbers are where they are there is no incentive for them to spend capital fixing a problem.  They weathered the 2012 year and are now content with a few customers having issues.  I used ATX since at least 2004 if not earlier and was very apprehensive with making a change but I did it at the end of January and had almost no issues with the conversion.  I spent Maybe 10-15 minutes more on each return checking carryovers and having to change some depreciation codings and that was it.  Certainly less painful than having to re-boot etc all the time.

Jack you spent so much time with ATX trying to help them with technical issues as did I and Ken with functionality issues and after meeting with executives and all their key people, we saw nothing good implemented. 

• Like 3

Here is the reply I received just this morning.... (I hope you enjoy comedy...)

Jack,
 I would advise you to call in to support at the number listed below for further trouble shooting on this issue. If your computer is going to sleep, this could potentially cause the issue. If this is not the case then please call us.
 If you need further assistance, please contact our customer support department at 1-800-638-8291.

Thank you for using our products!!

JOEL INGEBRIGTSEN
ATX CCH Small Firms Services,
a Wolters Kluwer business
225 Chastain Meadows Court, NW Suite 200
Kennesaw, Georgia. 30144
phone- 800-638-8291
fax-888-815-7587

Jack, that response from ATX leaves me almost speechless. How many times have you said that the program is having this trouble WHILE you are working on a return, and the box pops up in the background that you can't even see?!  To have this happen two, maybe three times, is too many in my book, and you've had this ongoing for years. Clearly, no one is listening and no one there cares.

I think Michael is right when he said that as long as renewals are in a certain range, the company doesn't care. No one should be having this issue, whether they prepare 100 returns or 1000+. It's disgusting that they won't fix this issue.

I guess that "thank you" with the 2 exclamation points makes it all better though.  /s

• Like 3

I am, as of this evening, going to install the 2015 version of ATX.  I have delayed till now, as we can't efile till today, and to allow ATX to work out the bugs...

I still get the "Server Retry" error all the time in the 2014 product. 

I have a network, and 596 returns in the Return Manager.  I Might upgrade my server Win 7, SP1, 2gb Ram, and old style HDD.  But I do not let that computer go to sleep, nor any of my other computers.

They gotta get after this...

Rich

Was working on one of my workstations and got the server error in the middle of a return. Just pressed enter and everything was fine.

This is just a cheap (<$500) ASUS I bought as an input workstation. We use online backup and remote access, both inbound and outbound, a lot, so we have a ton of network traffic, and do experience traffic jams where web pages won't load, but I checked with my power users and they have not had the server error once. But I just wanted to report that I have seen the error.

There was a loud 'boop' when it happened, so it wouldn't matter if it had popped under, I still knew something had occurred. Maybe you can find out which window sound is played when this error occurs and change it to a recording of Jack yelling "DAMMIT ATX!" :) I know, it's not funny, but if there was a distinct sound, preparers would know what has happened even if they don't see the error.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Was working on one of my workstations and got the server error in the middle of a return. Just pressed enter and everything was fine.

This is just a cheap (<$500) ASUS I bought as an input workstation. We use online backup and remote access, both inbound and outbound, a lot, so we have a ton of network traffic, and do experience traffic jams where web pages won't load, but I checked with my power users and they have not had the server error once. But I just wanted to report that I have seen the error.

There was a loud 'boop' when it happened, so it wouldn't matter if it had popped under, I still knew something had occurred. Maybe you can find out which window sound is played when this error occurs and change it to a recording of Jack yelling "DAMMIT ATX!" :) I know, it's not funny, but if there was a distinct sound, preparers would know what has happened even if they don't see the error.

Just wait till your client list gets bigger...  The "boop" sound is new.  However, when working on tax returns, I keep the volume down very low or muted.  Also, the sound is not unlike other sounds for e-mails, messages on facebook etc...

I will work on a .wav file for everyone to put in their computers for that tone.  That is a WONDERFUL idea.  I might just add the file to my next e-mail to tech support as well...

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I will work on a .wav file for everyone to put in their computers for that tone.  That is a WONDERFUL idea.  I might just add the file to my next e-mail to tech support as well...

Why am I hearing Bones in my head with this one?  Dammit ATX, I'm a tax preparer, not a ....   :)

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

update on retry error!!1

ok - so the saga continues but it has improved...

so  finally about a month ago - I called my wonderful IT guy and said my hubby is home - are you running separate cords to the server Fri am, aft, pm or Sat am - he said he would be there at 12:30 that day. 

We ran 5 cords direct to each workstation - that was great for .... 2 days. then the retry error came back, so it was not our Network ie no mice chewing the cords in the ceiling? :)

so then ATX said get AVAST off our Server, ok on the workstations - do you know that seems to be the best advice ever....

Earlier tonight I kept getting the retry error and on the server, the screen was up on Services, hit restart 2015 services and that also helps a lot.

So doing better. It seems whenever we call ATX by the time they have Team Veiwer'ed on - the issue disappears... I told them they shut down some of the computer sytems when they overload and so when we call in, they turn us back on!!! he laughed, I wasn't funnin'

So the season is going much better.

D

and for 72 to go - I just e-filed 50, maybe 200 to go before extensions - I do not input them all but I check every single last one.  heading to bed, apptmt at 9 am

Thank you al for your help and advice - this site keeps me at least with some sanity!! 

And I have enough undies but hubby complained!! And no - he is not allowed to tough washing machine and my slave labor - all 5 are gone - even the college student brings it to his sisters not home D

This worked for me. Try:

Open CCH small firm services in the start menu.

Choose ATX 2015 and then ATX 2015 Admin Console, let it open and let it process. Close it and open ATX 2015. 

It works for me every time and also lets me open prior years programs without a hitch. I put a shortcut on the desktop next to ATX 2015 and run it every time. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure this has any effect on the issue but at the end of each day I shut down my computer in my home office.  The next day I turn it on, fresh.  I have not experienced the issue once this year.  I'm sure many of you probably do the same as I and are still experiencing the issue.  Just wanted to relay what I'm experiencing.  Hopefully it will be resolved at some point in the future.  Overall, (and I'm not looking to jinx anything) I've found the 2015 program to be working very well.  

• Like 2