ATX Community

One more client story (OK, for now, anyway)

RitaB

I believe he is finally done with questions!

Last one was why I didn't deduct the entire loan payment instead of just the interest.

he is DEFINITELY gone next season. I hate firing clients and am a big proponent of just boosting the fee significantly but 10x the fee isn't worth this guy.

• Like 6

On a happier note, my first client of the day was an elderly Japanese man that I've known for my entire career.  He put his trust in me when I went out on my own and is one of my most interesting and favorite clients to visit with.  He almost always brings me a little trinket from his world travels, usually something to do with local custom, and always with an interesting story.

Today he handed me a small weighty box that he insisted I open. In it was a crystal with etching inside it of an origami crane. Also in the little box was a tiny origami crane that he made for me himself. The crane is the bird of happiness and a symbol of good fortune and longevity.  I can only hope to enjoy the good health and years that he has. He is in his late 80s now and still travels all over the world to lecture on his field of science.  

• Like 11

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 4:01 PM, RitaB said:
Guy asks me the date. 

4th.

He dates the Form 8879  “1/04/15”. 

Got a laugh from an NYPD Blue re-run recently:  Cop: "What's your date of birth?" Answer: "August 15th."  Cop: "What year?" Answer: "EVERY year! Don't you guys have to pass an IQ test to get this job?"

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mcb39 said:

Now, I must confess.  I started writing a check yesterday and on the date line wrote a large J before I caught myself.  Made the date January 30th.  My brains must have been in the bottom drawer. 

A few years ago -- but at least five years after the fact (which will become clear shortly) I was writing a check for groceries at the store.  Without blinking, I put "1998" in section for the year.  And had to void that check and start over.  

• Like 3

On 2/17/2016 at 2:56 PM, JohnH said:

At the rate he is going, this client may not last until December. 

You might need to fire him before the return is filed.

You nailed it. He sent me another list of questions and demanded I answer all the previous and I was taking too long.

Told him he needed to go elsewhere. I have a really bad feeling that I'm going to get accused of something by someone on this one.

His last list of questions he wanted to depreciate the houses over 10 years and he wanted to change the value every year to reflect the market price.

I have a really bad feeling in my gut about this one.

16 hours ago, Roberts said:

You nailed it. He sent me another list of questions and demanded I answer all the previous and I was taking too long.

Told him he needed to go elsewhere. I have a really bad feeling that I'm going to get accused of something by someone on this one.

His last list of questions he wanted to depreciate the houses over 10 years and he wanted to change the value every year to reflect the market price.

I have a really bad feeling in my gut about this one.

I reread your posts about this client, and from what you've posted here, you don't have anything to worry about. He may try to blame you, but his next victim preparer will figure him out soon enough. He may bad mouth you around your area, and this should be the worst of it. That will die down and people should see him for the complainer he is. Don't lose sleep over this guy because clients like him are nothing but a time suck to the detriment of your other existing clients or your ability to fill that time with other new, good ones. You'll be better off financially in the end because you won't have to answer his dozens of questions that he chooses to not want to understand anyway.

• Like 5

Thank you. Upon further review and the fact that it was his idea that I release him to go elsewhere and the blatant stupid and volume of the questions and strategies - he was most likely trying to drive me nuts on purpose. I gave him a copy of the return for review, I suspect the IRS will be getting a copy from him that looks exactly like it in a few days.

• Like 2

Long time business client didn't tell me she closed up shop in mid-Dec even when she dropped off her payroll records for the 4th quarter and year-end filings.  Her records are a total mess and she always complained about something (I took too long, my fees are expensive, etc). She got a buh-bye letter this evening. I am relieved that I don't have to look at that mess any longer.

• Like 6