ATX Community

Considered Unmarried?

Janitor Bob

Client left her spouse and of May 2015 (divorce not final until Jan 16) and lived apart from him the last 6 months of 2015.  Can she file as Single or must she mile MFS/MFJ?  In all my years of tax prep this is actually the first time I have dealt with this scenario ...Just want to make sure....Single sure would be better than MFS

If she has not lived with him for the last 6 months of the year, she can file single or HOH if she had a qualified child.

Under the heading of filing status, check the rules for "considered unmarried" to find this.  This has been in place for many years.

Must be 6 full months and not one single night of being together during the 6 months.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

If she has not lived with him for the last 6 months of the year, she can file single or HOH if she had a qualified child.

Under the heading of filing status, check the rules for "considered unmarried" to find this.  This has been in place for many years.

Must be 6 full months and not one single night of being together during the 6 months.

Well, you know that it is going to be at least six months and one day.;)

7 hours ago, Max W said:
If client is separated under an interlocutory (not final) decree of divorce, it can be fied as single.  Same thing if the court requires ex to pay spousal support.

I agree with you, Max. Another way to put it is "separate maintenance decree."

• Like 1

I understand the "6 month apart" rule when it comes to potentially filing HOH instead of MFS, but my confusion lies in the situation where client could not claim son/daughter as a dependent....Would the same "6 month apart" rule allow her to file as single or does it only allow for HOH if otherwise qualified?