ATX Community

Amending MFJ to MFS -- possible now?

easytax

New client and actually first I have had that is better at MFS for dollars back than MFJ.     During review of pass three years returns, MFS would have gotten them between 400 and 756 MORE each year. This year depending on some 1099-S (timber) basis it might be 365 to 981 more back.

I am/was under the impression that you could not change from MFJ to MFS once the due date of the return has occurred.  However in checking the 1040X instructions (2016) to be sure, I found a mention on changing from MFJ to MFS referenced in the section that discussed same sex marriages. It says you can.   NOW, if that is true for same sex, is it true for difference sex marriages?

Additionally I could find any reference to being NOT able to change from MFJ to MFS in the instructions (the reference I did find was on the TaxBook web service).

Any ideas, comments, confirmations (either way - if possible with something I can reference) will be appreciated (once I wake up tomorrow -- I am going to bed // night, night).

I didn't mean to sound flip up there! I was just kidding! I hope you took it that way~~

I thought same sex marriages could amend from SINGLE to MFJ in certain prior years.

Married couples can only go from MFS to MFJ in the current year and before the current year deadline.

7 minutes ago, Possi said:

I didn't mean to sound flip up there! I was just kidding! I hope you took it that way~~

I thought same sex marriages could amend from SINGLE to MFJ in certain prior years.

Married couples can only go from MFS to MFJ in the current year and before the current year deadline.

You have it confused...

You can amend from MFJ to MFS up to the due date of the current year.

You can amend MFS to MFJ anytime. (Three year statute for receiving any refund is in play here)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

You have it confused...

You can amend from MFJ to MFS up to the due date of the current year.

You can amend MFS to MFJ anytime. (Three year statute for receiving any refund is in play here)

Riiiiiight.... thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pacun said:

AND yes Rita, I mentioned you by name so you have 30 seconds to defend yourself.

Calm down Little Marco.

OMG I am crying, this is the funniest thing I've seen all day and I've had some real winners in here.  Including the lady who crocheted a poncho for me.  Yes, a poncho.  Yes, crocheted.  And then the guy who's a foot shorter than me wants to go to lunch.  My lunch is bigger than you, no thanks, I'm sitting here in my crocheted poncho and pizza is coming.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pacun said:

I had the same argument that after April it cannot be done but Rita said it can be done. Look for that post and bump it please.

I said that single people who filed as married have a duty to amend and file correct returns as single people.  Their first return was fraudulent.  Perjurious.  We just might as well get divorced right now, Pacun, you never listen to me.  After all these years, and I have given up so much for you...

http://www.atxcommunity.com/topic/16896-can-you-amend-mfj-to-single-or-hoh/

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, RitaB said:

We just might as well get divorced right now, Pacun, you never listen to me.  After all these years, and I have given up so much for you...

:lol:  Rita, thanks for the laughs and making my day a little brighter.  I needed that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

:lol:  Rita, thanks for the laughs and making my day a little brighter.  I needed that.

Well, we could get married.  It's legal now, and I'm about to get rid of Pacun and move on with my life.  I have kids and farm animals, too, a package deal.

5 minutes ago, RitaB said:

Well, we could get married.  It's legal now, and I'm about to get rid of Pacun and move on with my life.  I have kids and farm animals, too, a package deal.

Maybe after the busy season and after my divorce from the guy in residence...or we'd have to move to Utah and become sister-wives.

• Like 2

Thank you all.   I will stick with no MFJ to MFS after year return deadline.

As to // sister wives and farm animals // (for once) NOT brave enough to go there --- been beat up before when mentioning the idea (probably still have marks).  :blush:  :angry: :o

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, easytax said:

Thank you all.   I will stick with no MFJ to MFS after year return deadline.

As to // sister wives and farm animals // (for once) NOT brave enough to go there --- been beat up before when mentioning the idea (probably still have marks).  :blush:  :angry: :o

That's right,  "easy" tax.  Like Ice Cube said, "You better check yourself before..."  Well, he said a lot of things, and they were important.

• Like 1