ATX Community

Any Ideas on Where to get a copy?

Tax Prep by Deb

I have a client from last year who has been trying in vain to get a copy of his W-2 that he never received. He has gone to the former employer who gives him a phone number to call. He calls the number gets and answering machine, leaves his message but never receives a call back. The employer does have a web site were you are suppose to request the information, problem is you have to have you employee ID # to access and client had not worked there since early 2006 therefore doesn't remember his number. Goes back to former boss who tells him he doesn't know the number either and informs him that he has tried contacting HR department but doesn't get any response. Client did not keep any pay stubs and can not seem to find anyone who has.

We filed without it knowing that eventually IRS would catch it, and they have. The amount the claim is fair however they do not include any withholding. I am reasonably sure there was withholding and I would like that information taken into their consideration.

I know I can request a transcript from IRS however that is not going to show me the state information. This change will also effect his state return, and again I'm reasonably sure there was some withholding.

Does anybody know how I can go about getting a copy of his actual W-2?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Deb!

I guess I do not go the extra mile for my clients. If a client doesn't have a W-2, I request a copy from the IRS and I file the state without any withholding. If my clients don't like it, too bad... I didn't lose their W-2. Most of the time it is the employee's problem because they didn't provide employers with the correct address.

I think the employer is the only one that can provide a true copy of the W-2.

Are you sure the taxpayer had any taxes withheld?

I handled a couple of CP2000 notices recently from the 2005 year. Both gave the taxpayer credit for withholding taxes. (However, both were for 1099-R's with a Code 1, which may mean they are handled differently than W-2 forms).

Are you sure the taxpayer had any taxes withheld?

I handled a couple of CP2000 notices recently from the 2005 year. Both gave the taxpayer credit for withholding taxes. (However, both were for 1099-R's with a Code 1, which may mean they are handled differently than W-2 forms).

No I'm not sure, but that's the point. Before I have my client agree to the change I would like to confirm. An earlier comment stated that he doesn't go the extra for his clients with missing W-2's, and under certain circumstances I would agree, however this client came to me early in February last year, was up front about not having the W-2 tried his best to get a copy, (I do not believe he lost the original, I do believe the post office didn't deliver it, and no he didn't move. He has lived at the same place for several years). Having said this, I believe I owe my client the best care I can give him. That is the reason that my clients come back year after year and why I am continuing to increase clients each year.

As to the e-service. Yes I am registered, however I am just a lowly tax preparer so my use is limited. I have tried to file a POA on several occassions, but as of yet I have never had one accepted. I must be doing something wrong! It's funny, they won't accept my POA however I can make phone calls pertaining to third party disignation and they will usually talk to me.

I would really like to be able to help my client. I will follow Jainen's comment and check out the FTB site, and hope for the best!

Deb!

>>California doesn't require a copy to be filed<<

Franchise Tax Board has greatly expanded services for My Account on its web site this year, including wage and withholding information. Be sure to take the Spidell update class next fall.

Thanks Jainen,

I was able to get the state info I was looking for. It doesn't look good for my client at this point. There was no state w/h which means that more than likely there was no fed w/h. I'm sure I can get the Fed info, but Fed's stated that they do not keep state info. So at least I have 1/2 of the puzzle solved!

Again thanks so much!

Deb!

I am sorry to use your thread since I do not have an answer to your question. This is just a general comment.

I do not go the extra mile, but I do not file returns when clients tell me that they are missing a W-2. I tell them to contact their employer and in the meantime, I request a W-2 transcript from the IRS. I inform them that we need to file an extension and wait for the real W-2 from the employer or the transcript from the IRS before we file.

I wen back & looked at some CP2000 notices I've seen lately. Every one of them showed the Federal withholding and allowed credit for it in the calculation of tax due. If IRS can figure out he had earnings, they can figure out he had withholding. If there's none showing on the CP2000, I doubt you'll find any on the W-2.

I infer from what you orignally posted that the client had W-2 forms from other employment. If so, was there any Fed tax withheld on those jobs? If there was none or very little, then chances are you have the same situation on this job. Also, if it was part-time employment, there's a good chance there was no withholding regardless of what is showing on the other forms. You may be able to get some useful guidance form the info you have on hand.

As for overall practice, I'm on board with Pacun. As far as I'm concerned, a missing W-2 means filing an extension. That's about the only thing that will build a fire under the client to get their info together. If Oct 15 rolls around and they still don't have the W-2, then it's time to file the return with a 4852. This helps head off the type of problems you're having now. Once he got a notice regarding a return you filed, his problem becomes your problem regardless of what was discussed when the return was filed.

I've seen CP2000s that had all the info, and ones that didn't. However, I would take the bet that he had no withholding. As a preparer, I think you file the 8821 along with the 2848. You should have access to the client's account if you prepared the return. And the IRS will have the fed w/h and SS too; they just don't have the state info.