ATX Community

Magician TP

ILLMAS

TP is really not a magician, but he made some fixed assets appear on the books dating back to 2011.  Last year I prepared TP's 2012 to 2014 1120S and he only had two assets on the books, I recognized them and prepared the return, this year he included additional assets, he never took depreciation for them and have been placed in service is 2011, would it be safe to date them back to  2011 (2015 tax return) and just let ATX calculate depreciation or put them in service in 2015?

30 minutes ago, ILLMAS said:

It's a trucking company, average cost of 5 trucks is $18,000 and 5 trailers $15,000,

My first reaction is to wonder how the books were ever balanced and what else is wrong on the returns, and I'd be asking this client a lot more questions than how to now make assets magically appear on the tax returns. How were these assets acquired and paid for, were they financed and loan payments being made, were they acquired in some sort of barter arrangement?  Were the cash accounts reconciled and in balance? Are there cash accounts in existence that also aren't on the books? 

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

My first reaction is to wonder how the books were ever balanced and what else is wrong on the returns, and I'd be asking this client a lot more questions than how to now make assets magically appear on the tax returns. How were these assets acquired and paid for, were they financed and loan payments being made, were they acquired in some sort of barter arrangement?  Were the cash accounts reconciled and in balance? Are there cash accounts in existence that also aren't on the books? 

Excellent questions, I am afraid the TP might not have the best answers :(  

Your client "forgot" he had $165k in assets?  How much income did he "forget?"  Did he deduct property taxes, registrations, heavy road use, maintenance, fuel, etc all those years?  I believe the tractors depreciate over three years and the trailers over five, so most of the expense is behind him.  Form 3115 is the only way to go.

Reminds me of a client I had once who forgot he was married!  And I had a client this season who only had one W2, nothing else, and guess what he forgot to bring to his appointment?  My memory ain't that great either, but......

• Like 3