ATX Community

Your cellphone use policy

ILLMAS

Who here has a NO CELL sign in there waiting area, conference or any where in their office?  I don't get this, if I go see my doctor I am sure going to turn off my phone because I respect my doctor's time, but why aren't accountants respected?   I don't mind if they call someone for information I might need to prepare the tax return, I actually encourage calling the banker to request important documents, but I don't like it when they take calls or are texting and not giving me their attention.  :angry:

• Like 2

I put my phone in Do Not Disturb mode whenever I'm in a restaurant, doctor's office, theatre, etc., but I never turn it off. I only had a problem once with one client who had the annoying bird whistle sound for text messages and he was getting messages every few minutes. I just asked him to silence his cellphone before I lost my mind.

Why do people like obnoxious sound effects. I try to find the most soothing, shortest sounds I can for my phone. Most office phones have the most frantic, alarming rings you've ever heard, for some reason. We have our office ringers set at the lowest volume so you can barely hear them. Sometimes, we turn them off for awhile or even the whole day.

• Like 2

If their phone vibrates or rings while they're in my office, I encourage them to take the call or reply to the text, etc.  I usually have something to do while they are on their phone, but even if I don't, they are paying for the time either way.   By the same token,  if they're on a call or texting, I don't mind interrupting them if I have a question about their return.  

• Like 1