ATX Community

Need a laugh?

jklcpa

The most annoying yet amusing convo of the week so far was talking to a mortgage broker, not a client.

blah, blah, blah convo... and then this:

Broker: ... I prepare my own return and take lots of deductions (yeah, I bet!) and am actually going through an audit right now, and it's not too bad. The agents are really great.

Me, rolling my eyes at all of that and thinking again "yeah, I bet":  Oh, that's good to hear.

Broker: Yes, the agent said if I wasn't an @$$hole to them, they wouldn't be to me.  They told me that I didn't need to hire a tax person to represent me because it would just cost me a lot more in fees, so I'm doing an offer in compromise myself that some professional would probably charge me thousands of dollars to prepare two sheets of paper.

Me: Well alright then, that's great.  I'm really glad to hear you are having a good experience with your audit. Good luck to you with that!

Guy was a total ass and doesn't have a clue that he's being audited because of "lots of deductions".  

• Like 4

A client had him call because she could not grasp the concept about her FHA mortgage insurance up-front fee on the 1098 being added to her loan, and I wasn't able to make sense of what she was even talking about the way she was relaying what he told her.   I guess it took both of us before she understood how that works.  I really needed that whole time wasting call today.

• Like 2

That dude it SCREWED.

Offer in Compromise?  When you are an @sshole Mortgage Broker?  Yeah, right.  Agree to the audit changes, expand it to years that are still open, and the understatement penalty, we are talking probably serious dollars here.  

And then OIC it all away???

Not going to happen.  Some folks just need to get bent over.   And I hope the IRS does and without any further lube.

Rich

• Like 6

13 hours ago, jklcpa said:

The most annoying yet amusing convo of the week so far was talking to a mortgage broker, not a client.

Guy has called twice.  I finally call him back. 

Is it ok for Mrs. Loaded  to withdraw $80,000 from her annuity I manage in 2017?

What do you mean, is it ok?  It’s her money.  Of course she can withdraw it.

Well  I just wanted to make sure it’s in line with your planning.

My planning?  Matt, she’s in the 25% bracket, that won’t go down because she has other investments that you don’t manage.  So, whatever you do, whatever you do, withhold 25% so she won’t be in here crying at tax time like she was this year even though I told you to withhold 25% when we had this conversation last year.  There is no crying in taxes unless it’s me.

(Laughing)  You are in the throes of tax season.

Matt, I am in Affordable Care Act hell.  Withhold 25%.  Do it.
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, jklcpa said:

They told me that I didn't need to hire a tax person to represent me because it would just cost me a lot more in fees, so I'm doing an offer in compromise myself that some professional would probably charge me thousands of dollars to prepare two sheets of paper.

In the middle of an audit he's writing up an OIC? jeeze.

I'm no OIC expert and they can be done easily with an online service but mid-audit? Yeah - no.

• Like 2