ATX Community

NT- 2017 Economic Census question

NECPA in NEBRASKA

A client dropped off his 2017 Econonic Census for me to help. Apparently there is no helping this year, because it is all online. He has no clue how to do it himself and has not even brought in his 2017 bookkeeping. It's due by 6/12, which is hilarious, since he just got it in the mail Thursday. I went online and can't find a way for him to request an extension or to opt out for paper. This guy does not even know how to use a computer and uses a flip phone that is just a PHONE. I would be happy to hear any ideas on getting this extended. The penalties are huge for not filing it. I wish that they would just go to his house and see that not every small business has a computer.

Thanks,

Bonnie

• Like 1

I have filled these out for years for my write up/payroll/tax clients.

I filled one out several weeks ago, but I had to call the census bureau and get a temporary password so I could log on to the website and fill out the pages of information for my client.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

Apparently there is no helping this year, because it is all online. He has no clue how to do it himself and has not even brought in his 2017 bookkeeping. It's due by 6/12, which is hilarious, since he just got it in the mail Thursday. I went online and can't find a way for him to request an extension or to opt out for paper. This guy does not even know how to use a computer and uses a flip phone that is just a PHONE. I would be happy to hear any ideas on getting this extended. The penalties are huge for not filing it. I wish that they would just go to his house and see that not every small business has a computer.

Thanks,

Bonnie

I swear; anybody who has a monthly/quarterly account of any kind with you wants this thrown in with that fee.  They don't want help, they want you to DO it (plus their kid's FAFSA if you'll go for it). 

Your due date (same day as delivery) is a little better than ours which is about a month before the notice is sent out.

My guy actually HAS a computer, but never did quite catch on to usin' it - he used to print out annual P&Ls for me, but was such a lousy one-fingered hunt and peck typist that he finally went back to tearing a page out of a spiral notebook (I appreciated it - you would too - he once put "Ford Truck-$34,000" in "Supplies Expense")  Also, he never figured out how to turn it off (always just jerked the cord out of the wall).    

MY phone is a flip phone (never yet sent a text-but makin' progress-can now MAKE calls as well as RECEIVE them).  He doesn't have one, period.

I'm surprised that Nebraska has huge penalties (figured that state was just a Yankee version of Arkansas).  Our penalty is zero; they just send 3 or 4 more notices before throwing in the towel -- a little consolation of living in the sticks with no cultural advantages.  Anyhow, three months ago I just took a large Sharpie, wrote across his notice "WE DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER - SEND US A PAPER FORM!", mailed it back to the state.  Nothing else heard from them.

Like John said, tell him to find a kid and he'll find a computer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have a very crude manner of dealing with govt authorities who make it impossible to comply with anything except online or on their websites (many of which don't always work).

I just don't give them anything.  I also have a form letter to the state representative when they try to assess a penalty.

Tennessee is trying to cram their online filing and paying such that it cannot be done in any other fashion except online.  If I am doing the filing, I don't have signature authority to give them any money.  Tennessee has removed such things as payment vouchers whereby you could send a check with a coupon.  They think this will stop paper checks.

It will.  You betcha!  In fact, what it does is stop any kind of payment at all.

Serves them right.  They think it is all their money by divine right, and don't have a mindset to think of where it comes from.

Over time, the savings they hope to achieve will happen, as more and more people use online faculties.  They shouldn't expect to pull the rug out from people who have no usable computer and expect not to have problems.

• Like 5

On 6/3/2018 at 12:21 AM, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

My client doesn't even have a computer. I won't let clients use my computers, so I guess I will see if he can call someone and figure this out. 

You don't have to let them touch your computer, just have them in the room with you. Then fill out the form together and bill him for your time.

• Like 8