ATX Community

1099 INT REQUIRED ?

Lee B

SMLLC, a disregarded entity,  engaged in a combination of real property investment and commercial rentals,

who regularly borrows unsecured funds from 2 individuals for both operating and investment purposes.

His main source of income is employment/part owner of a Structural Engineering Firm.

Since his real estate activity doesn't rise to a trade or business level, my tentative conclusion is that he is not required to issue 1099 INTs ?

LLCs are created for all kinds of purposes other than to conduct business.  The main purpose of an LLC is to attempt to shield an owner from liability for what is in the LLC.  LLCs are formed to hold property and ease gifts of shares of that property to family members.  That can be done with real estate or other investments.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cbslee said:

SMLLC, a disregarded entity,  engaged in a combination of real property investment and commercial rentals,

who regularly borrows unsecured funds from 2 individuals for both operating and investment purposes.

I would consider this activity a business and issue the 1099s. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, EricF said:

LLCs are created for all kinds of purposes other than to conduct business...

They certainly are.  A few years ago the proprietor of Elmo's Alternators brought me his usual cardboard box full of gas tickets, bank statements, deposit slips, Burger King receipts,  invoices, a half-eaten sandwich, and beaucoup wadded-up Walmart tickets (normal fee's $225, but $500 for him since I have to pay a girl to unroll and iron the Walmart tickets flat enough to add up).  Noting the new name (Elmo's Alternators, LLC) on an invoice, I said "El; this might complicate things; did you take on a partner or do anything new?" 

"Not a thing," he replied, "but everybody's doin' it. It sounds better!" :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of my clients said her son formed an LLC for his painting business because it limited his liability for taxes. All he had to do was file a piece of paper with the Secretary of State.  He told her once the LLC was formed, he didn't have to pay tax on any of his income.  After an embarrassing period of silence accompanied by my "deer in the headlights" look, I changed the subject. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had someone tell me that he'd been told that as long as he left the money in his SMLLC and did not send himself a 1099, none of the money was taxable.  He said a CPA had told him that!  Either there was a HUGE misunderstanding somewhere (possible), or the guy giving info wasn't a CPA (possible), or he was selling/giving the kind of tax "advice" that lands the listeners into long-term opportunities to wear orange jumpsuits (also quite possible).  

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, ILLMAS said:

A bank would normally issue a .64 cents 1099-int, it would probably be a good idea  to issue one if he indeed paid interest, I would say no if the interest is being accrued and not paid.

I thought banks only issued 1099-INT if the amount was $10 or more.

• Like 1