Jump to content
ATX Community
Sign in to follow this  
grandmabee

Drake input vs ATX input

Recommended Posts

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, Tax Prep by Deb said:

One of the reasons I left and went to Drake.  Also what was once included in the price of the package is now being pieced out (payroll module) and I think what really nailed it for me was the last time I renewed I was given a very special gift, the previous years books for which I threw away because I had already received them when I renewed the previous year.  I was once a fan and defended the company, but I am so glad I left and went with Drake.  I know exactly what to expect to pay from year to year.

But now different is the input in Drake?  I like ATX , have been with them from the beginning. I don't usually have to call support so that isn't really a problem for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, grandmabee said:

But now different is the input in Drake?  I like ATX , have been with them from the beginning. I don't usually have to call support so that isn't really a problem for me.

It is a little different, everything gets entered into worksheets, but I found that within just a little while I was moving as fast if not faster than ATX.  There was a few times I couldn't find where I needed to input something, but a quick google usually solved that problem.  I was like you, very concerned about the difference, but with all the new changes to the tax return, I chose now to make the switch, and I am not disappointed at all. 

Also there are several users here on this board that are quick to respond for help!  And should none of us be able to help, a quick call to Drake will get you up and going.  The support is fantastic, geared to our busy schedules. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The input in Drake is based more on the forms that we get from clients, than on the tax form format.  

So you'll get a W2 screen that looks like the W2s we get.  Ditto for 1099-MISCs and 1098s, interest and dividends, can even consolidated forms.  There is a Drake Tax Basics free webinar next week (after t he entities deadline) where they will go into all that - why don't you take a peek then?  Drake Tax Basics (Webcast) - September 17, 2019 - 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM Eastern. This 4-hour online webcast introduces the basics of Drake Tax. Learn to install and set up Drake Tax, navigate data entry, prepare and e-file tax returns, use tools such as the Tax Planner, Client Status Manager, Update Manager, and more. Chat with Drake reps and earn up to 4 hours of CPE for attending. Click here to register.  (the "here" is this link:  https://training.drakesoftware.com/classroom-training/trainingclasses/?type=1&format=2 )

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

It is a little different, everything gets entered into worksheets, but I found that within just a little while I was moving as fast if not faster than ATX.  . . .

The support is fantastic, geared to our busy schedules. 

An honest objective response:

This is my second tax season with Drake after 20 years with ATX. To be honest the input is more than a "little" different. Some of the worksheets are very busy with  several links to subworksheets.  Until you get used to it, sometimes trying to find the right worksheet is frustrating. If you are doing mostly straightforward 1040s, I don't think the transition would be too bad.  I do mostly business entity returns and complex 1040s so that transition was more difficult.  Drake has Oregon business entity returns available several weeks earlier than ATX which was a big deal for me, plus Drake efiles all of the Oregon entity returns which ATX did not do at the time I left.  Honestly it still takes me a bit longer to process returns on Drake than it used to on ATX.

However that's more than offset by reduced stress and frustration !  I like Drake and I don't regret changing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 12:42 PM, cbslee said:

more than offset by reduced stress and frustration

Also helped by *amazing* tech support that gets you the answer to any question you have, fast.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Catherine said:

Also helped by *amazing* tech support that gets you the answer to any question you have, fast.

Hands down the best tech support. Hardly finished email on "disaster" problem with Ca and had response.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drake's tech support is pretty amazing.  Last year I had a problem with the format on the DE 2210 where all the figures were correct but were printing 1/2 line too high. It's a little hard to explain, but numbers ended up in the wrong boxes. Connecting with the tech support person that monitors the company's forum, she put me in touch directly with the state programmers via email so that I could send them the pdf of the incorrect form and another correct presentation to show them the problem directly and as it should appear.  There was another instance of working directly with the programmers, the details of which I don't recall, but I doubt this level of interaction directly with the programming dept would be possible with ATX.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I called in had to do with uploading into their portal after I imported a return from my laptop.  It didn't happen with every file but occasionally it gave me an error message.  I contacted support, he tried a few things, couldn't figure it out, promised me he would look into it and call me back.

A couple of weeks had passed, in the meantime I found a workaround, so no big deal.  Then the phone rang and it was the same guy from Drake who called back with a fix.  It didn't completely solve my problem, but he emailed me the fix and said if it happens again this was what I needed to do.  So when it did, it saved me a whole lot of time and frustration because I already had the steps needed to get it to work.

I am very pleased with the service.  It reminds me of the good old days when ATX was small and cared.  Had the same team stayed with ATX I would never have left.  I would gladly have paid more for the program!  With the current owner of ATX I feel they are only interested in the money, not me nor my time.  Not so with Drake!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 12:41 PM, Catherine said:

The input in Drake is based more on the forms that we get from clients, than on the tax form format.  

So you'll get a W2 screen that looks like the W2s we get.  Ditto for 1099-MISCs and 1098s, interest and dividends, can even consolidated forms.  There is a Drake Tax Basics free webinar next week (after t he entities deadline) where they will go into all that - why don't you take a peek then?  Drake Tax Basics (Webcast) - September 17, 2019 - 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM Eastern. This 4-hour online webcast introduces the basics of Drake Tax. Learn to install and set up Drake Tax, navigate data entry, prepare and e-file tax returns, use tools such as the Tax Planner, Client Status Manager, Update Manager, and more. Chat with Drake reps and earn up to 4 hours of CPE for attending. Click here to register.  (the "here" is this link:  https://training.drakesoftware.com/classroom-training/trainingclasses/?type=1&format=2 )

 

Catherine,  I went to link and the only webinar for the 17th is $79.  Is there a way to get it for free that I'm missing?

 

image.thumb.png.c933aaf462fccfaeebf1a943444d917f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patrick,

If you go the Drake Software main website, then click on "Service and Learning",

then click on the last selection on the dropdown list, "Videos",

you will find a lot of short videos that will give you a brief introduction to many different parts and aspects of the software.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...