ATX Community

Renaming files

Catherine

I've had a few clients this year where I've made multiple copies of returns, to try different scenarios either for 2006 tax year or to see the effects of proposed future changes. These included buying or selling rental properties, changing dependency exemptions, all manner of things.

Most of these trial returns can be deleted once I'm done. However, in a couple of cases, the one I finally used for 2006 and want to keep is now named "Copy (1) of Smith, John and Mary".

How can I rename this file (after deleting the "Smith, John and Mary" that _didn't_ get used, of course), to read "Smith, John and Mary"??

Couldn't find anything in the knowledge base or the book or in-program help. :blink: Figured someone out here would know.

TIA!

Catherine

I've had a few clients this year where I've made multiple copies of returns, to try different scenarios either for 2006 tax year or to see the effects of proposed future changes. These included buying or selling rental properties, changing dependency exemptions, all manner of things.

Most of these trial returns can be deleted once I'm done. However, in a couple of cases, the one I finally used for 2006 and want to keep is now named "Copy (1) of Smith, John and Mary".

How can I rename this file (after deleting the "Smith, John and Mary" that _didn't_ get used, of course), to read "Smith, John and Mary"??

Couldn't find anything in the knowledge base or the book or in-program help. :blink: Figured someone out here would know.

TIA!

Catherine

Open the return that you want to change the name. Click on "Returns" scroll down to "Rename Return." Type in the new name.

Either of the above works. If you're in the Return Manager, you can highlight the name & change it, or just plant your cursor & backspace. This allows you to change the name without opening the return itself, but if you press the "Enter" key after changing the name it will open the return anyhow.

I rename the return 2007 Smith, John and Mary. That way it's at the top of my return manager list and I know quickly which returns were used for a possible future scenario.

taxbilly

Hey, it must be very difficult finding a particular return if they're all name the same....just kidding

In the future, as you go through the different scenarios, save the first scenario and close the client. On return manager, highlight the client and pull down the file menu and select duplicate and you will have a chance to name the second (and subsequent) scenario properly.

When I prepare several versions of a return, I duplicate the original then when I save it, I give it a different name similar enough to recognize. The same is necessary for an amended return--you need to name it different enough to make it easy to distinguish.

If you have two with almost the same name, the last part isn't visible. When I have this situation, I just make the change on the Return Manager which is just a matter of deleting an old name and typing in a new name.

In the future, as you go through the different scenarios, save the first scenario and close the client. On return manager, highlight the client and pull down the file menu and select duplicate and you will have a chance to name the second (and subsequent) scenario properly.

Well, that works so long as the one you eventually want to keep was the _first_ one. On one client, tried three different ways to treat one income source. Turned out Copy(2) of Smith, John & Mary was the best for taxpayer. Used that one, deleted the ones that didn't work out -- and then couldn't figure out how to rename the one I wanted! Had visions of them living forever as Copy(2) of.... ;)

Catherine

When I prepare several versions of a return, I duplicate the original then when I save it, I give it a different name similar enough to recognize. The same is necessary for an amended return--you need to name it different enough to make it easy to distinguish.

If you have two with almost the same name, the last part isn't visible. When I have this situation, I just make the change on the Return Manager which is just a matter of deleting an old name and typing in a new name.

I've been using the Copy(1), Copy(2) when working with current-year returns, mainly because I try a couple things in quick succession and can then pick one and be done - and don't need to keep the others. With projections, I've been using names like "Sell Rental Smith" or "Buy Rental Smith" or "Mary BTW (back to work) Smith" so I know what they mean. Those stay for reference (but won't get imported next year).

Thanks for all the advice and info. Will keep it all in mind as I get amendments and other changes.

Catherine

Catherine,

I do a lot of planning also in my practice and I duplicate the return and then rename it as "Planner - John Smith" and in the status column I put "planner". That way, when I am just looking for different scenarios, I can sort the return manager to "planner" and pick the one I wish to use. If I have several different options, then I name"Planner - John Smith 1", 2 and so on.

Maribeth